Panasonic PBX and Simple Small Business Wiring

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Please, if anyone can shed some light on what I need to do and how to do it I would be greatly appreciated.

I am helping my father-in-law move from one suite to a new suite. I have to help him move his PBX and wiring block from the old location to the new location.

He has four phone stations. And four CO lines right now.

In his new suite, he wants to add three more phone stations and keep paying his monthly isp for the 4 CO lines.

Here is what he wants moved:

What is the simplest and easiest way to pick everything up and move into the new suite?

Thank you guys for any replies, comments, and information! I really appreciate the assistance!

Solution
You will still need someone to come to the new place and (re)program the PBX for the new extensions. These systems were designed like 30 years ago, and their programming involves cryptic numbers and a thick manual you probably don't have.

Otherwise your plan of cutting and labeling sounds good. At the new place, you can just re-punch the cables to the block (but you will still need a special tool for that).
Your PBX **most probably** has several RJ12 connectors where external phone lines come in, and either RJ12 connectors for extensions, or DB50 (like old printer connector) split onto that 110 patch panel on the left. Depending on how the extensions are connected, you might want to take that whole patch block on the left with you as well.

For the new extensions you are about to acquire - you will need someone with Panasonic PBX experience to enable and program them. Some more modern PBXs can be programmed over serial port with proprietary software (not available to the public).

What is the black box on the left, and the white stuff on the right?

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

The blackbox is a upc. The box on the right is a voicemail on hold thing.

So this is what I was thinking...

Trace each cat 3e cable to each extension. Label the extensions on the block. Cut the wires feeding down from the ceiling

There are about 7 or 8 cat3's coming down. So Cut those off. And put this whole thing into the new suite?

You will still need someone to come to the new place and (re)program the PBX for the new extensions. These systems were designed like 30 years ago, and their programming involves cryptic numbers and a thick manual you probably don't have.

Otherwise your plan of cutting and labeling sounds good. At the new place, you can just re-punch the cables to the block (but you will still need a special tool for that).

Solution
^What he says.

If you are simply moving the cabling, I say give it a go. If you have to re-program that thing and add more lines, I wager you don't get a nice GUI interface to click here and click that. Be blunt, the guy is running a business, are you sure you want to "play" IT with his stuff while he's expecting to get on with his business?

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks so far guys. You have been helpful. I do have the manual. It's 200 pages. I will be installing an expansion card into the PBX for more extensions. Programming may have to be done by a professional.

I got another question.....

If I use existing phone blocks above, can I add 3 more phones? What size block is needed for 7 (LCD) phone stations?

TRENDING THREADS