Panasonic's 4K Tablet Could Kill All-in-One PCs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Good luck playing any game other than angry birds on a 4k screen with that config. Unless you enjoy non native resolution gaming or 1FPS.[/citation]

Say hello to slideshow games LOL

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Oh I am sure my physicians, techs and nurses in our Radiology department would love to have some of these.[/citation]
No more X-ray machines, just tablet exposure! Seems legit.

I could see these working for the workplace, assuming corps are willing to spend the money on them. They won't take off now, but maybe down the line they will if nothing better comes along.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
(3) the PC platform will never die. But Panasonic is seemingly trying to prove the third truth wrong at CES 2013 in Las Vegas with a very interesting prototype: a 20-inch 4K tablet. If anything, it may kill off the AIOs, at least.
It also has an Intel Core i5 3427U vPro CPU clocked at 1.8 GHz, Nvidia GeForce graphics, 4 GB of RAM (16 GB max), and a 128 GB SSD.
It's funny how some tech journos are so desperate to sound like they know something when in fact, they know little.

Please enlighten me: I see a device that's slightly smaller than an AiO's monitor, has PC hardware (not an Atom SoC), so it's evidently still an AiO that's not an AiO. It's a large tablet PC.

So large, that i can't use it as a tablet PC as i would use something like the Surface Pro, but smaller than an AiO and without a mouse and keyboard.

It's price is unknown.

It's a prototype.

Yet it's supposed to kill of PCs, being a PC itself. Or, as the writer appears to be more certain, AiOs are history, from something that's neither a portable tablet PC nor an AiO (neither is it selling and perhaps not even in production).

Has logic gone to hell?

It's more like an interactive touchscreen that may be good for providing weather and stock info and control household devices, perhaps even light news/youtube/web browsing or even a central media player, for which the Bay Trail Atoms would be more than sufficient and appropriate.

Why are so many people so desperate for a post-PC era when it's so far been clear to me that nothing has been capable enough to take its place? I believe that the PC platform will be the very vehicle that helps us cross over to computing in the 2020s.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
If there are only three known truths in the universe, it's that (1) we must die, (2) we must pay taxes and (3) the PC platform will never die.
Again with this......Really?

Well if it's running windows 8, then it's not really killing the PC is it.....Just a change in form factor, as AIO PC's aren't really upgradable, so this should boost the PC market IMO. AIO form factors aren't all that powerful anyways, and I'm pretty sure they aren't all the popular and a small marketshare compared to standard PC's.

G

If PC dies so as tablet. Majority of Manufacturing company use PC. Even server use it. Only people who does'nt have had any ideas about the importance of PC are the only one saying PC era is death...

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]crestlost[/nom]If PC dies so as tablet. Majority of Manufacturing company use PC. Even server use it. Only people who does'nt have had any ideas about the importance of PC are the only one saying PC era is death...[/citation]
What companies use depends on what the most cost-effective platform to deploy is and the growing army of Android/ARM developers could very well make ARM a favorite platform soon enough. Just look at every ARM licensee announcing new chips for just about every imaginable market from micro-controllers to servers.

While x86 is likely to remain the dominant mainstream computer/server architecture for the foreseeable future, non-x86 CPUs are everywhere else... including just about every other major component and peripheral in and around your PC.

sonofhendrix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Nice but, its not a pc killer.. i want 800gb hard disk at least. And i dont want fingerprints all over it. and my arm would get tired from all the touch screening rather than resting on a mouse.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Great can we now also have some PC monitors of higher resolutions that don't cost an arm and a leg, since you have this technology around all places.
Where is our 24' ,4k , thin bezel, $500 PC display, for all these now standard multiscreen PC's we have nowadays. I'd be happy for a 2560x1600 too..... but the whole world seems to have full-stopped at the damn 1080p resolution as if watching a 1080p movie is the only thing people do with a computer.

InvalidError

Titan

The only thing that is certain to die (or at least become far less common over time) is the conventional form factor PCs.

Unfortunately, modern journalism does not let technicalities get in the way of a good headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.