Panda Offers Cloud-Based Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
WTB Win7 support. It's just a simple switch that's denying it installation on Win7 machines, and it won't run in Compatibility mode.

I know it's pre-release, but many people are using it, and CloudAV is a great concept.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I see this being useful on netbooks and other low powered windows machines. This is a win win for everybody, and might make me try it out for a while. I am protected with Avira free AV...

SamanuelMC

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Just downloaded and tried to install only works on Vista/XP 32-bit. Shame really wanted to try this. Website has a funky intro movie stating to evolve to a new age of anti-virus. It seems they've forgotten to evolve to a new age of Operating System.

i0n

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
mman74: There is a local cache that is defaulted to when an internet connection is not present.

i0n

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
[citation][nom]SamanuelMC[/nom]Just downloaded and tried to install only works on Vista/XP 32-bit. Shame really wanted to try this. Website has a funky intro movie stating to evolve to a new age of anti-virus. It seems they've forgotten to evolve to a new age of Operating System.[/citation]
This is just the first beta. The 64bit/Windows 7 version is currently in QA from what I hear.

i0n

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
[citation][nom]thedipper[/nom]WTB Win7 support. It's just a simple switch that's denying it installation on Win7 machines, and it won't run in Compatibility mode. I know it's pre-release, but many people are using it, and CloudAV is a great concept.[/citation]

Cant just release something without rigorous QA testing.

thesmokingman14

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I love the "Come, join the Collective. Resistance is futile" remark. Also, if this is everything they say it is, it's going to catch on like wildfire. But, what prevents the cloud from getting compromised and sending out huge viruses to its clients?

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hmmm, link milllions of computers together. No that doesn't sound like a hackers wet dream or anything. Obviously I haven't seen their exact setup but I can definetly see a flaw in the logic. All it would take is to find a hole in the CI and it's game over man, game over!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
II think all this "cloud" hype is going to people's heads... this doesn't work much, if any, different from normal AV. It will still have a memory footprint on the PC, it will still take compute resources from the host PC, and all AV's get updates from the web, the freq. determined by the app or user. Maybe they've off-loaded the scanning of files to the web, woohoo! (sarcasm) It'll eat up all your bandwidth if it does this with every file. I could go on, but point is, this is nothing but taking advantage of the hype surrounding the buzz-word "cloud".

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
and by the way, "cloud" is nothing but a lay-man's term for internet. It's how less tech-savvy people are able to understand the web, "as a cloud" thats just "out there" People using the term should be coddled. People using it too much or trying to make money off it should be smacked and told what it is.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom] "as a cloud" thats just "out there" People using the term should be coddled.[/citation]

Right up there with someone calling everything they like "organic". Or business people coming up with various jargon to cover for when they have no clue what they are talking about or simply lack an expanded enough vocabulary to express themselves properly etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.