[SOLVED] Paper clip test?

Jun 27, 2021
Hi,

Trying to troubleshoot my PCs power problem. I perfomed the paper clip test and I'm not sure if I have passed or failed.

The psu fans spin for roughly 5 seconds then stops.

Could someone explain to me if the test passed or failed and/or tell me what is a passing result for the test. Should the fans spin indefinitely until turned off?

Solution
Ok, thanks. Just to make sure I understand. My test failed because the fans stoped spinning rather quickly. The fans should spin until I intentionally turn off the power to the psu?

That's correct for standard PSU.

But some PSU have temperature controlled fans, the fans only spin if the sensor senses some heat.

And there are PSU that only stay live if there is a load, otherwise they will stop after a few seconds.

So you should use an ATX power tester, the tester will put some load on the PSU so it will run without a motherboard, even if the fans don't spin.
Hi,

Trying to troubleshoot my PCs power problem. I perfomed the paper clip test and I'm not sure if I have passed or failed.

The psu fans spin for roughly 5 seconds then stops.

Could someone explain to me if the test passed or failed and/or tell me what is a passing result for the test. Should the fans spin indefinitely until turned off?

The fan should spin as long as the paper clip is inserted to the 24-pin connector.

But the fact that the fan is spinning doesn't necessarily mean that your PSU is totally fine, you need an ATX power tester to make sure that all the voltages (12V, 5V, 3.3V...) are fine.

Reactions: PointedArch
Jun 27, 2021
Ok, thanks. Just to make sure I understand. My test failed because the fans stoped spinning rather quickly. The fans should spin until I intentionally turn off the power to the psu?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Yep, I did the paperclip test myself a few years back, and all fans connected to the PSU spins until the PSU itself is turned off. Probably the PSU is only good enough for the initial spike at startup and nothing else.

But some PSU have temperature controlled fans, the fans only spin if the sensor senses some heat.

And there are PSU that only stay live if there is a load, otherwise they will stop after a few seconds.

So you should use an ATX power tester, the tester will put some load on the PSU so it will run without a motherboard, even if the fans don't spin.

Solution

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Yeah, hadn't thought of that. I'll add that Molex fans are probably better for paperclip test. Spins all the time anyway.

Also, I concur PSU tester is mighty handy. Locally I can get one for $7-8 (free shipping too!) and works wonders for troubleshooting since it saves so much time and effort. A colleague of mine have a prototype model from a DIYer --been years and the casing gave up before the tester itself does. Cheap tool to have that lasts long.

Reactions: lvt and PointedArch
Jun 27, 2021

Ah I see. Alrighty I'll grab one tomorrow and update the post. I find it odd that my psu could be faulty as its only a year old. Corsair RM 650. It is still under warrenty. So hopefully this is the problem and I can get it replaced. I'll update the post with my findings.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: lvt
Only just seen this. The above was wrong, many modern PSU’s have a silent mode up to a certain load. So an initial spinning of the fan and then stopping is expected for a psu with a silent mode as the paper clip test puts zero load on the psu. You really need to measure the voltages when the paper clip is inserted regardless of the fan spinning.

However the paper clip test cannot prove a psu is working. It can only show if a psu is probably dead. Just because a psu works with the paper clip does not mean it will work when in a pc as the paper clip test does not prove the psu can deliver the correct voltages under operating loads. If the psu is completely unresponsive when you perform the paper clip you can assume the psu is dead. So the paper clip test is of very limited usefulness.

jidanni

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2015
Remember to always just see if a fresh CMOS battery on the motherboard
will solve the "PSU won't start" problem. Also with many newer PSUs, the
unit will "play dead" with just the paperclip test without a real
load/motherboard connected.