News Paper Launch? Radeon RX 6800, 6800 XT Out of Stock

SyDiko

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Let the scalpers sit on their price-gouged inventory and lose money. As PC gamers wait until things go on sale at retailers before pulling the trigger. I'm loving my 5700XT and will so for a year or two. :)

Oct 21, 2020
This might be an issue of too much competition where one brand releases a card and waits for the others' response before making better cards and then waiting for the others' response.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
AMD's launch was definitely worse than Nvidia's. I attempted to buy a 3080 and at least I could attempt to add a card to the cart. Now I tried getting a 6800 XT and they went from not listed to sold out instantly. Nvidia wasn't much better than AMD but they were better. If Nvidia was a paper launch then AMD never left the paper factory!

Reactions: PBme
AMD's launch was definitely worse than Nvidia's. I attempted to buy a 3080 and at least I could attempt to add a card to the cart. Now I tried getting a 6800 XT and they went from not listed to sold out instantly. Nvidia wasn't much better than AMD but they were better. If Nvidia was a paper launch then AMD never left the paper factory!
Well, I think they both got hit the same in this regard.
Take for instance the people that could get a 6800XT in their cart, but then it got removed at checkout.
Same thing with walmart and their ps5 launches- I had one digital and one disc version in my cart on 4 separate drops, but everytime I hit the checkout button they got removed because they sold out.
I don't think it's on AMD and NVIDIA (aside from production) but rather the retailers they sell them through. In your case, I think it went both ways, with people not getting it in their cart and people getting it in their cart but them selling out before check out was completed.
These websites need some security for sure.
But I've pretty much accepted my fate in terms of GPUs this year, and I'll wait until next year when the new 4k displays start coming out. Maybe even TI versions of the 3000 series as well.

As for ps5s, I'll be trying tomorrow on walmarts website and if that doesn't work out, then I'll be at gamestop around 4am before work on black friday and see what's up.

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Let the scalpers sit on their price-gouged inventory and lose money. As PC gamers wait until things go on sale at retailers before pulling the trigger. I'm loving my 5700XT and will so for a year or two. :)
Unfortunately Ebay buyers have more money than sense. These scalpers know there are so many people who either 1. don't have the time to sit on their computer for hours at a time to get a new piece of tech or 2. Just don't want to wait until they can buy their own. It all adds up to scalpers being the front line on ALL future high tech purposed until the retail outlets do something to combat the botting.

BrushyBill

Distinguished
May 23, 2014

Exactly this! I've had this conversation with a couple friends already. Everyone jumping on this scalping bandwagon is going to feel the hit to the wallet in coming months. Eff'em all...

BrushyBill

Distinguished
May 23, 2014
Unfortunately Ebay buyers have more money than sense. These scalpers know there are so many people who either 1. don't have the time to sit on their computer for hours at a time to get a new piece of tech or 2. Just don't want to wait until they can buy their own. It all adds up to scalpers being the front line on ALL future high tech purposed until the retail outlets do something to combat the botting.

Not entirely true. If you've been watching Ebay the scalpers really aren't selling much. You can find 3080's there now for a decent price even, (under $900usd). No one is buying, so the prices are dropping. Sure they sold a few initially but that market is no where near as big as you make it out to be.

Edit: And I'll add. I honestly feel that "scalping" has been unnaturally inflated this year because of all the hardship due to covid. Lots of people sitting thinking about fast money. They just don't realize that the market for that sort of thing is truly small. The scalpers from before filled that niche and competed with each other. This year an influx of scalpers and the same size market of dipsticks that would pay so much. Pretty much equates to the first few making some cash while the rest end up sitting on stock and/or reducing prices.

Last edited:

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Nvidia's latest quarterly report came in minutes ago and the numbers easily beat estimates. Gaming revenue is up ~40% Y2Y. Ampere was definitely not a paper-launch.

We'll see if Big Navi is essentially a paper-launch. Given the chip's operating frequency, I do suspect that they're binding the hell out of the lots.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Retailers should have a first come, first serve waiting list that's 10% down non-refundable one card per address until stock is stable. That way no more bots snapping up all the cards and eventually you will receive the gpu you ordered and if you don't want to wait any longer give up your money down. No more refreshing the page praying you get lucky.

Definitely wasn't a paper launch but sure feels like it. When people are locked down you know they are going to buy products for their homes. Up your production a little or delay your product. I much prefer when say video games are delayed to fix problems or smooth things out, it would be better for your brand (maybe not wallet, though I doubt that right now) to have more stock available at the get go than to trickle slowly frustrating your customers. Like tweeting we (AMD) will have plenty of gpu's available at launch. That totally happened!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020

Unfortunately at the worst they'll be able to just break even by selling them at MSRP when supply stabilizes, or returning them. Nothing currently in place truly de-incentivizes scalping, <Mod Edit> with them on eBay is ultimately just a temporary inconvenience.

Also a handful of retailers in Canada outright declared they flat out had no stock provided to them to sell. If that's not a paper launch here I don't know what is.

Last edited by a moderator:

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Nvidia's launch was a joke but this seemed much worse. I had every site and direct link queued up and refreshing and didn't see squat for even a fraction of a second. Laughably Best Buy didn't even bother to post any, just said 'coming soon' and sites like B&H posted that they have nothing ahead of time. One person I was chatting with won the refresh lottery on AMD's site but for third party sites, nope.
CPU's were better but almost as bad. I got a 5600x from Amazon for my nephew as there were available for a few minutes and at least saw the 5950x though Buy Now never worked.

Nov 19, 2020
Honestly, the only people that are responsible for scalpers are the tech companies themselves. If they actually had stock at launches, scalpers wouldn't exist. I have lost respect for these companies since they are the ones creating a market for resellers. All this talk about how to stop resellers...it's quite simple, either have no online orders for the first month or so (in store only with a limit of 1), or actually have the inventory to fulfill your launch days. My local store only got 2 6800XT's...and they don't know when they will get more. Already 15 on back order. It's just crazy that these stores are getting so few cards, if they received 50-100 there would be no issues and wouldn't sell out for at least a day or two. They still don't even have the Ryzen 5000 series CPU's in stock. These companies need to step up their game.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It is not a paper launch .. it is just a huge leap in performance per dollar , and now every one on the planet wants to upgrade .

But AMD had enough time to prevent that , and it puzzles me how they missed the opportunity to take advantage of Nvidia shortage . because the RX 6xxx card are at the same performance of Nvidia cards and people who want a gaming card NOW will get the AMD card granted. even if they like nvidia more

Honestly, the only people that are responsible for scalpers are the tech companies themselves. If they actually had stock at launches, scalpers wouldn't exist. I have lost respect for these companies since they are the ones creating a market for resellers. All this talk about how to stop resellers...it's quite simple, either have no online orders for the first month or so (in store only with a limit of 1), or actually have the inventory to fulfill your launch days. My local store only got 2 6800XT's...and they don't know when they will get more. Already 15 on back order. It's just crazy that these stores are getting so few cards, if they received 50-100 there would be no issues and wouldn't sell out for at least a day or two. They still don't even have the Ryzen 5000 series CPU's in stock. These companies need to step up their game.

They should also limit it to people that have rewards points, or prior purchases with the retailer. Scalpers will use family members like a mom, girlfriend, uncle etc... to get in line with them to buy these. Then sell them on ebay and share the profits.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I think just about every launch in 2020 has been a "paper launch"

Exactly.......every company is basically saying "Hey, look what we could build and sell you if COVID hadn't decimated the global infrastructure chain!". Definitely a first-world problem, but it's annoying as <Mod Edit>. Not a good time to be building or upgrading a computer. I think in about 7 months, things will be a ton better. As a random aside, I'm also anxious for the 6900XT release. The sooner it's released, the sooner they can work on the supply problems.

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
This, and add that companies I notice lately have moved to these worldwide launches on short inventory stock.
What happened to segmenting your release dates by regions to allow time for more production of said products for release.

It's rumored AMD didn't produce much RX 6800 / 6800 XT units, under 100K and then divided that up between 50+ international markets to fulfill a "worldwide" launch.

They should have staggered the Big NAVI release dates by region until there was adequate stock available. This would have resulted in more stock being allocated to stores and e-retailers.

But instead this current practice of producing little stock and just splitting them to worldwide markets is going to be continual spray of mist to a dry terrain that won't satisfy anybody.

Sure COVID-19 is partial to blame for the high demand increase, but these companies practices of world wide launches now does not make sense to me.

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Not entirely true. If you've been watching Ebay the scalpers really aren't selling much. You can find 3080's there now for a decent price even, (under $900usd). No one is buying, so the prices are dropping. Sure they sold a few initially but that market is no where near as big as you make it out to be.

Edit: And I'll add. I honestly feel that "scalping" has been unnaturally inflated this year because of all the hardship due to covid. Lots of people sitting thinking about fast money. They just don't realize that the market for that sort of thing is truly small. The scalpers from before filled that niche and competed with each other. This year an influx of scalpers and the same size market of dipsticks that would pay so much. Pretty much equates to the first few making some cash while the rest end up sitting on stock and/or reducing prices.
I want some of what you're smoking man. I've looked daily for any kind of "deal" due to needed another 3080 card for a clients build and never have I seen any single card by any vendor go for under $1200. Even the zotacs and Pnys are 160-190% of their base price.

BrushyBill

Distinguished
May 23, 2014
I want some of what you're smoking man. I've looked daily for any kind of "deal" due to needed another 3080 card for a clients build and never have I seen any single card by any vendor go for under $1200. Even the zotacs and Pnys are 160-190% of their base price.

I know some have been sold on Ebay for well under 1200usd, as I stated above. Problem I'm seeing now is that most of anything listed on Ebay , for a decent price, is all fake listings being posted by anti-scalpers.. Which is kinda crappy because it hides the legit listings. And screws legit people trying to sell their 2x8pin GPUs at decent non-scalper prices. Some of us have been able to upgrade from the 2x8pin to the 3x8pin and in doing so have gotten rid of the 2x8pin for just over cost (to cover shipping and tax). Wattage cap on the 2x8pin is just absurd and really gimping these cards. Makes the 3x8pin cards the only ones worth OCing under water even though the 2x8pin should be able to handle 600w safely. Anyways, they are out there. Just more <Mod Edit> to sift through now that the anti-scalpers are involved.