Question Paper towel OK to clean thermal paste with?

gabness1

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
I am using a kitchen towel to clean my thermal paste off my cpu, will it matter if there is a small amount of residue left even if I reapply thermal paste?

gabness1

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
I don't have any alcohol is it OK to use 70%? I used paper towel because I've seen some you tubers do it and it working fine but otherwise I would use ipa 99 if I had it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I personally use those high-absorbency blue paper towels for automotive use- they tend to be a little more absorbent and far more resilient to tearing.

You would want to remove as much of the old paste as possible, so several wipes might be required.

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
Paper towel , breaks up too much. Leaves debris.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST61g3hnIs
Jaystwocents does this but only because he's been doing this for a while. He reccomends coffee filters though. I personally used a q tip and 70% isopropyl alcohol because thats what i had on hand. Yes 70% isopropyl alcohol does work as linus tech tips has proven. I did hear people saying no don't use it but I figured it would work.

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
I don't have any alcohol is it OK to use 70%? I used paper towel because I've seen some you tubers do it and it working fine but otherwise I would use ipa 99 if I had it.
I used this and it worked just fine. Linus tech tips even tried this and several different liquids. You can even use the scepter of q teep and the poleesh remover of nieal (if it's acetone based).

Last edited: