Paperclip test definitive? PSU

Jim578

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
I think my Antec 650 watt PSU power supply started to go on Thursday night. Friday morning when I tried to turn on computer I was not able to get any video output. GTX 660 wasn't working. I then took it apart last night to make sure all of the wires were together to see if I had accidentally disconnected something, but when I rehooked the PSU up and hit the power button I got no fans, beep etc. I have been building my systems for a while so I am not a "noob". I was afraid it was the MB or video card, but I did the paperclip test and the PSU fan did not kick on at all after numerous tries. Is that the best "Test" you can do albeit getting some type of gauge/monitor?

Solution
The only thing the paperclip test will tell you, is if the PSU can start. So, if that was your issue, then it would indicate that the PSU is defective. Be sure you went from the green to a black on the 24 pin connector and that the power switch was on.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The only thing the paperclip test will tell you, is if the PSU can start. So, if that was your issue, then it would indicate that the PSU is defective. Be sure you went from the green to a black on the 24 pin connector and that the power switch was on.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS