[SOLVED] Paperclip Test - Expected Outcome?

Thakarn

Honorable
Nov 9, 2014
My PC died earlier today and I haven't been able to turn it back on. I'm not sure if it's correlated but I plugged my printer into the extension lead, and a few moments later, the PC went out!

I started by testing my power supply, an Evga NEX650G1, since there is an electrical whirring sound when the switch is inbetween the ''I'' and ''O'' position. I disconnected it from the PC and tested it in isolation using the paperclip trick, and the fan starts up for a second before coming to a stop.

I was wondering if this indicates a fault with the power supply? To what I understand, this PSU does not have ECO mode and so the fan should not cut out when unloaded?

cheers,

Solution
The surest way to know is either with a specific tester designed for a PSU, or if you know how a handheld meter can do the job as well. I would point out that if you don't already know how to use a meter, learning on your PSU isn't the best choice.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The surest way to know is either with a specific tester designed for a PSU, or if you know how a handheld meter can do the job as well. I would point out that if you don't already know how to use a meter, learning on your PSU isn't the best choice.

Solution
My PC died earlier today and I haven't been able to turn it back on. I'm not sure if it's correlated but I plugged my printer into the extension lead, and a few moments later, the PC went out!

I started by testing my power supply, an Evga NEX650G1, since there is an electrical whirring sound when the switch is inbetween the ''I'' and ''O'' position. I disconnected it from the PC and tested it in isolation using the paperclip trick, and the fan starts up for a second before coming to a stop.

I was wondering if this indicates a fault with the power supply? To what I understand, this PSU does not have ECO mode and so the fan should not cut out when unloaded?

cheers,
" fan starts up for a second before coming to a stop."
If the fan normally runs continuously...and it's doing this during the paperclip test I'd replace the PSU.

Thakarn

Honorable
Nov 9, 2014
" fan starts up for a second before coming to a stop."
If the fan normally runs continuously...and it's doing this during the paperclip test I'd replace the PSU.

Unfortunately I never really noticed if it previously ran continuously, or if it stopped under less load etc. It it nearly 8 years old so I suppose it was waiting to happen!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Apart from a fully functional pc, there no way to test a psu. Paperclip, testers, multimeters etc can only test for output voltages on the rails. That's it. What they cannot do is test the psu under load conditions.

It's a case of 'the lights are on, but you have no clue if anybody is at home, or who might be home'