Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0 vs. fresh install

newUser8776

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I just purchased a new HP DV7t which should arrive in a few weeks. I'm also looking to get a OCZ Agility 90 gig SSD to put the OS and programs on. Both should arrive about the same time (haven't ordered the SSD yet).

So the question is, what is the best way to install the SSD and put the OS on there?

There appear to be two options, fresh install of the OS vs. using software (like Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0) to move everything over.

the paragon software is here: http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

I've read in the forums here that people seem to think that a fresh install is best because it sets things up more efficiently, but the Paragon software claims at least to do that in the migration process. It does all of the Trim and alignment stuff.

So has anyone used the Paragon software? It seems like it is an easy way to get everything transferred and setup in an hour or less, rather than me wasting an afternoon doing a fresh install of Os, Drivers, and software if in the end, you get pretty much the same thing? Or will there be noticeable performance / stability difference in the fresh install that makes it worth the afternoon-worth of my time?

Solution
I've used the Paragon OS to SSD software about 30 times so far as a system designer. It is VERY flawless in how well it works. After installing it, install any tool that comes with the SSD drive (Intel Toolbox, Samsung SSD Magician, etc.) to optimize the SSD drive. After that, use a tool called SSD Tweaker from http://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=SSD-Tweaker and optimize the SSD drive. Reboot the laptop after these two optimizations, verify to make sure system has disabled any defrag programs, and you are good to go... ESPECIALLY on a brand new laptop.

Of course, you want to remove any unnecessary trial programs and such to keep the system optimized. You can also use a program called Soluto from www.soluto.com to speed up the boot process...
Have you ever noticed how a PC gets slower over time as the registry and other things "crud up" from multiple installs, updates, uninstalls, and just life? For that reason, I always do a fresh install.

Of course, I'm a fanatic. I do a system dump after the fresh install, and every so often I clean my system by restoring the last dump, doing the necessary updates since that point, and storing a new dump. Keeps my system fresh and minty-smelling.

newUser8776

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Thanks. Although in this case, since it is a brand new laptop, the system is already 'fresh'. So does a 'fresh install' get me anything beyond using a migration tool which is migrating a brand new system?

And seems like 'fresh' is what a lot of people are saying... is there a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to do that? Between installing the new SSD, reinstalling windows on it, and installing drivers, I don't to do something out of order that ends up screwing things up.

Good point. If the system is brand-new, then the only crud is the stuff HP pre-installs. Perhaps, in this case, a migration would be a good choice. I never though of that.

There are lots of guides for installing to SSD, but the ones I have seen sort of assume that you know the install OS - install chipset drivers - install downloaded vendor drivers - windows update route by heart. Lemme look...

I don't see one. Someone else, please weigh in. I've seen links to plenty on the forum before. Or... Win7forums covers all the additional stuff that you need in one sentence, not to great: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

I've always done it off the top of my head, with previously downloaded versions of all the drivers that are on the included CD (to get more recent versions) and Intel's matrix storage manager.

nish1021

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I've used the Paragon OS to SSD software about 30 times so far as a system designer. It is VERY flawless in how well it works. After installing it, install any tool that comes with the SSD drive (Intel Toolbox, Samsung SSD Magician, etc.) to optimize the SSD drive. After that, use a tool called SSD Tweaker from http://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=SSD-Tweaker and optimize the SSD drive. Reboot the laptop after these two optimizations, verify to make sure system has disabled any defrag programs, and you are good to go... ESPECIALLY on a brand new laptop.

Of course, you want to remove any unnecessary trial programs and such to keep the system optimized. You can also use a program called Soluto from www.soluto.com to speed up the boot process and time it, keep history of boot times, etc. and see how the system performs over a period of time... takes very little resources, and is wonderful.

Enjoy the SSD, and welcome to the new computer age!!! :lol:

Solution

1visitor

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
After cloning the HDD OS onto the SSD with Paragon Migrate, were all partitions aligned correctly ?

Also, should the AHCI change be done before or after cloning ?

Thank you very much for sharing experience.

Visitor

1visitor

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Do you know how well AOMEI Partition Assistant handles alignment in cloning the HDD onto the SSD ?
While reading threads, I found a user warning that Paragon's Alignment Tool was efficient at identifying misalignments in an Acronis migration job, but only did fix the very first partition leaving others misaligned.
This is the very question I keep trying to find an answer to regarding Paragon, AOMEI, MIRAY, and Mini Tool partition Wizard.
I already know that Acronis and Intel's Migration Software won't fix alignment.
I have an Intel X25-M 160gb that I want to install in my Lenovo X201s. Since I'm away from home and without either a Win7 disk or DVD drive, a fresh install is no option and I do prefer to keep all my current configurations and keep the current HHD as an external bootable backup.

Thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge.

Visitor

newUser8776

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Paragon Migrate did all the alignment correctly for me. no problem, worked the first time.

I found my computer was already set up for ACHI so i didn't end up having to worry about changing that. So i don't know the answer to your second question

1visitor

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Appreciate your help.
I'm about to pull the trigger, but still double-checking things between Paragon Migrate and AOMEI Partition Assistant which also claims to automatically align the SSD.

Two other questions come up :
1- In the migrating process should I choose a drive letter (like D:) or none if I want the SSD to be seen as the C: drive after I install it replacing the old HDD ?

2- Will the migrating process in any way affect the source HDD so that ? I'd like to keep it as a bootable backup drive after being replaced with the SSD.

Thank you again.

Visitor

1visitor

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I quickly got the below reply from AOMEI. It has clarified things regarding their Partition Assistant software. I'm sure it will help other users :

---------------------------------
Thank you for contacting us.

1. the partitions will be aligned on SSD after the "Migrate OS" completed, both free version and paid version have the same capacity.
2. I suggest you'd better do as its default, after you unplug the source disk and boot from the SSD, the system partition will be automatically marked as C:
3. the operation will not do any changes on your source disk, so yes you can use it in case of SSD fails.
If you meet any problem or have any suggestions on using this program please feel free to contact us.
Best Regards,
Kim
Aomei Technology Support Team
Aomei Official Site: http://www.***
---------------------------------