Part 4: Avivo HD Vs. PureVideo HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

abzillah

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Don't the 780G chips have hybrid technology? It would have been great to see what kind of performance difference it would make to add a discrete card with a 780G chip. Motherboards with integrated graphics cost about the same as those without integrated graphics, and so I would choose an integrated graphics + a discrete graphic card for hybrid performance.

Nice job Don !
Interesting seeing the theoretical HQV difference being a realistic nil due to playability (does image enhancement of a skipping image matter?)

I'll be linking to this one again.

Next round HD4K vs GTX vs GF9 integrated, complete with dual view decoding. >B~)

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Great article, specially liked the decrypted video benchmarks as I was indeed expecting a much higher difference.

Also was expecting that the single core handled it better as I use a old laptop with pentium M 1500mhz & ATI 9600 as a HTPC and it plays nearly all HD media I trow at it smoothly (Including 1080P) trough ffdshow. Notice the files are usually Matroska or AVI and the codecs vary but usually are H264.

I admit since its an old PC without blueray or HD-DVD I have no idea how the "real deal" would perform, probably as bad or worse as the article says :p

G

I have a gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H m/b (780G)
I just bought a Samsung LE46A656 TV and I have the following problem:

When I connect the TV with standard VGA (D-SUB) cable,
I can use Full HD (1920 X 1080) correctly.

If I use the HDMI or DVI (with DVI-> HDMI adaptor) I can not use 1920 X 1080 correctly.
The screen has black borders on all sides (about 3cm) and the picture is weird, like the monitor was not driven in its native resolution, but the 1920 X 1080 signal was compressed to the resolution that was visible on my TV.

I also tried my old laptop (also ATI, x700) and had the same problem.
I thought that my TV was defective but then I tried an old NVIDIA card I had and everything worked perfect!!!
Full 1920 X 1080 with my HDMI input (with DVI-> HDMI adaptor).

I don't know if this is a ATI driver problem or a general ATI hardware limitation,
but I WILL NEVER BUY ATI AGAIN.
They claim HDMI with full HD support. Well they are lying!

puet

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
What about the image enhacements in the HQV test posible with a 780G and a Phenom procesor?, would this mix stand up in front of the discrete solution chosen?.
This one could be an interesting part V in the articles series.

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]azrael[/nom]I have a gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H m/b (780G)I just bought a Samsung LE46A656 TV and I have the following problem:When I connect the TV with standard VGA (D-SUB) cable, I can use Full HD (1920 X 1080) correctly.If I use the HDMI or DVI (with DVI-> HDMI adaptor) I can not use 1920 X 1080 correctly. The screen has black borders on all sides (about 3cm) and the picture is weird, like the monitor was not driven in its native resolution, but the 1920 X 1080 signal was compressed to the resolution that was visible on my TV.I also tried my old laptop (also ATI, x700) and had the same problem.I thought that my TV was defective but then I tried an old NVIDIA card I had and everything worked perfect!!!Full 1920 X 1080 with my HDMI input (with DVI-> HDMI adaptor).I don't know if this is a ATI driver problem or a general ATI hardware limitation, but I WILL NEVER BUY ATI AGAIN.They claim HDMI with full HD support. Well they are lying![/citation]

LEARN TO DOWNLOAD DRIVERS

G

Guys...I own this Gigabyte board. HDCP works over DVI because that's what I use at home. Albeit I go from DVI from the motherboard to HDMI on the TV (don't ask why, it's just the cable I had). I don't have ANYDVD so, I know that it works.

As for the guy having issues with HDMI with the ATI 3200 onboard, dude, there were some problems with the initial BIOS. Update them, update your drivers and you won't have a problem. My brother has the same board too and he uses HDMI and it works just fine. Noob...

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yes I own GeForce 8300 IGP... I can confirm it does frame skips in just normal high quality DVD, i hate it... watching some stops... I test using ATI HD2600 external, wow it moves flawlessly and more vibrant, I regret my mobo, I should have bought ATI

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]remixme[/nom]That's funny, bit-tech had some rather different numbers for HQV tests for the 780g board.http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2 [...][/citation]

HQV is, unfortunately, somewhat subjective - but I don't know how they could have gotten these scores. Ati told me directly that their low-end cards won't provide any HD enhancements. That was some time ago, and bit-tech aren't a bunch of incompetents, so it's hard to say exactly what's causing the diffrence here.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]puet[/nom]What about the image enhacements in the HQV test posible with a 780G and a Phenom procesor?, would this mix stand up in front of the discrete solution chosen?.This one could be an interesting part V in the articles series.[/citation]

I don't believe the quality will change with faster processors - I tested a Phenom 9500 and didn't see any diffrence. But I'll run a proper test and let you know.

yottabit

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
"In this author’s opinion, motherboard manufacturers would much better serve their customers by offering an HDCP enabled DVI output with a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, instead of HDMI outputs."

Wow. You seem to be REALLY missing the point here. The whole point of this is for HTCPs, and the nice thing about HDMI is that it can send both video and audio to your tv over the cable. If they had a DVI port on the motherboard and you had to use an HDMI adapter, you would have no sound. Doing it the other way around though ensures that people who use it for an HTCP like it is intended get their sound, and those who want to use a monitor buy a DVI adapter. You didn't even seem to mention or test the capabilities of sending audio over HDMI!

I don't complain about my laptop not having a DVI out, and when I want to hook it up to my friends 32" HDTV all I have to do is plug in a simple HDMI cable. If I wanted to run and LCD at home I'd buy an adapter.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]kingraven[/nom]Great article, specially liked the decrypted video benchmarks as I was indeed expecting a much higher difference.Also was expecting that the single core handled it better as I use a old laptop with pentium M 1500mhz & ATI 9600 as a HTPC and it plays nearly all HD media I trow at it smoothly (Including 1080P)[/citation]

I have found that even slow CPUs can playback H.264 AVI files; something's going on when playing back a blu-ray, probably the encryption. I was hoping the AnyDVD HD benchmarks would expose this but that's not what we saw. I'll be digging into it further in a future review for sure.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]byusinger84[/nom]Guys...I own this Gigabyte board. HDCP works over DVI because that's what I use at home. Albeit I go from DVI from the motherboard to HDMI on the TV (don't ask why, it's just the cable I had). I don't have ANYDVD so, I know that it works. [/citation]

That is really bizarre... are you sure it works? Have you played back protected Blu-ray or HD DVD's over the DVI cable?

During my testing it didn't work at all, and then when I checked around I was led to understand HDCP wasn't supported on the DVI out of that board.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]yottabit[/nom]Wow. You seem to be REALLY missing the point here. The whole point of this is for HTCPs, and the nice thing about HDMI is that it can send both video and audio to your tv over the cable. If they had a DVI port on the motherboard and you had to use an HDMI adapter, you would have no sound.[/citation]

Well, I'll disagree with you that these boards will ONLY be used for HTPCs, as I've stated I believe that these value-priced boards would be attractive to a whole lot of people with decent monitors who would like HD playback.

As for sound, you can certainly play it back over the integrated sound chip instead of HDMI, so I don't think "you would have no sound." is an accurate discription.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
CnQ on? Why not test 8450e as well? 8200 doesn't work well with Athlon 64 X2, but it seems to work better with Phenom. I don't have blu-ray so I can't confirm how it perform with Phenoms.

puet

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Why don´t take into account the added benefit of a Phenom into the ecuation?
In theory that ads support for enhaced visuals only seen on discrete cards and, if it works, could have added much more value to the 780G.
Is it my imagination or the 790G add multichanel sound over hdmi too?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]CnQ on? Why not test 8450e as well? 8200 doesn't work well with Athlon 64 X2, but it seems to work better with Phenom. I don't have blu-ray so I can't confirm how it perform with Phenoms. [/citation]

Rumor has it that blu-ray playback relies heavily on the hypertransport speed, and the phenoms do support a higher hypertransport I believe. I'll try to get my hands on a Phenom X3 sample and dig into this question in the future.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]puet[/nom]Is it my imagination or the 790G add multichanel sound over hdmi too?[/citation]

I believe the Radeon HD 4000 series adds support for 8 channel sound, the 780G can not. The 780G should be able to handle 6 channel (5.1) though.

There is no multi-channel audio for the 790GX, it was rumoured and even speculated initially, but it never materialized.

The HD4K series has it as mentioned in the review, and for integrated the nV and intel series have added it.

As for those playing BR movies via DVI, wouldn't their playback abaility depend on whether the content flag was enabled or not? Alot of movies don't enable it from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.