Part list vs Dell 8900 Special Edition

marknashe

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I've been debating purchasing a Dell XPS 8900 Special Edition, but I think I can build a similar machine for a lower cost. For processor, I think I'll use i7-6700k and maybe for motherboard get the Maximus VIII Hero. I'm not a gamer at all, but I plan to use this machine for normal day-to-day tasks, as well as to run VMware Workstation, Cisco VIRL and GNS3, and I will use to watch HD videos/streaming.

My requirements are 32GB of ram. I'd like an energy efficient and quiet power supply, but one that will handle my workload and last long. I'm thinking an ATX motherboard makes the most sense.

I'm not great with picking out parts, so if anyone has some suggestions for the below, that would be great

1) case
2) power supply
3) motherboard
4) Memory (brand/speed) - The dell is using DDR4 2133.
5) video card

Thanks

Solution
Here is my suggestion.

Go find a XPS 8900 SP on ebay. I've done this a few times in the past. The warranty transfers to you and you can usually get it for way cheaper.

What I've done in the past is buy one of the higher spec systems on ebay that are brand new, then replace the power supply and video card as I need to upgrade. Your initial price point will be around 800 and still can get 32gb of ddr4 in many configs on ebay now.

bliq

Distinguished
You can undoubtedly build for less than a high end Dell but you do get warranty, and assurance that the components have been tested together.

do you have a link to the model of Dell you're specifically considering? And what are you using it for? Gaming? officework? PROFESIONAL video/photo editting?

marknashe

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Here's the link http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd?oc=ddcwgsk...

I'm not using for gaming. It's more for office work and to test/troubleshoot virtual networks and virtual machines., which is why I need a lot of memory and a powerful CPU.

marknashe

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

I think server platform would be overkill since I'm going to run a client OS, such as Windows 10.

bliq

Distinguished
I work with VM's in my day job. they are resource hogs, particularly RAM. I mentioned server class and motherboard in particular because they can hold much more RAM than a desktop class motherboard. But if say 32GB is sufficient for you, then sure, you can definitely build a system for less than the cost of buying the Dell...

This is $1300
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r4mF7P

For officework and VM, you don't really need a discrete video card. the ones in the Dell are older generation and fairly low end.
32GB of DDR4-2133
the fastest SSD right now (M.2 socket too- PCI-e, not SATA), plus a 2TB Western Digital Black for storage, this subsystem should handily outclass what that Dell has
a great quality 750W PSU, overkill but the same price as a 550W unit so why not, especially with 80+ Gold efficiency
you could step up to an i7-6700k, not sure if the hyperthreading would help with VMs- I don't use consumer CPUs so I've never benchmarked them.
I also didn't spec out a wireless adapter- you should probably be using a wired connection.

lyricyst2000

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I bought one of these and will be returning it as its m.2 socket is a lie and there isnt much room for discrete video upgrades (its possible but uncomfortably tight).

If you are able to find a 6700k right now, you will pay a premium for it. You might consider the x99 platform and its 6-core processor. Its about the same price for a CPU/Mobo/RAM combo, both utilize DDR4 and it is readily available. However, if energy efficiency trumps all else...you cant beat the skylake. It has few other advantages over devil's canyon unfortunately.

In my experience, any multithreaded quad-core and 16gb of RAM is plenty for most virtualization tasks.

bliq

Distinguished

Just depends on how many VMs exactly you need to spin up. I can do 3 or 4 no problem with my macbook pro i7 with 16GB but to do more, I used to use a much more powerful server (I tend to use AWS nowadays for this work). I thought about x99 but motherboards and CPUs are so expensive and it sounded like budget was an issue for the OP.

As for m.2 sockets, there are 3 types I think, and only one (type 3?) is actually PCI-E. The others are either a hybrid or SATA. The H97 board I picked supposedly has M.2 type 3.

lyricyst2000

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Well, at some point you have to draw the line between workstation and server but each user has their own needs so I wont 2nd guess the OP.

I dont think budget is a major factor when deciding between z170 and x99. I cant imagine OP wants an i5...As I said the 6700k is actually ~$50 more (if you can even get it) than the 5820k on average right now. The difference more than makes up for the slightly more expensive x99 mobo. There are other minor pros and cons to each but OP should at least consider x99 and go have a look at what others have said.

Edit: OP should also seriously consider x99 for its ability to actually utilize 4x8GB of ram at full bandwidth. Quad channel memory. Skylake does not support this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2tVGyc This is a borderline budget build but could be made even cheaper.

Regarding the Dell...it can be had for $800 at costco with locked 6700 and 16gb of RAM. Im sure this could easily be upgraded with another 16 and possibly suit OPs need perfectly. Its not a terrible option to be honest.

AlphaUno

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Here is my suggestion.

Go find a XPS 8900 SP on ebay. I've done this a few times in the past. The warranty transfers to you and you can usually get it for way cheaper.

What I've done in the past is buy one of the higher spec systems on ebay that are brand new, then replace the power supply and video card as I need to upgrade. Your initial price point will be around 800 and still can get 32gb of ddr4 in many configs on ebay now.

Solution