[SOLVED] Part new build

Dec 4, 2019
Hi all I'm new here, if this is in the wrong place soz.... I didn't know where to stick it, this weekend I am going to put some new parts in my old PC, its quite old but still not to bad, hardware wise, not a lot gone wrong with it, I had some problems with Kaspersky deleting and preventing me from taking thing off and adding them, and them Delting things, I had to do a reset, so now seems a good time to do it and update what I have.
I am going to change the chip, Motherboard, and put a SSD M.2 (1000 GB) I have my CD of Windows 7
Is there anything I should be aware of, or is it as simple as plug and play?
I would like to put the OS onto the SSD, but not sure how to go about it, is there a how to some place that gives good instructions?

Thanks for looking, Tony

Solution
  • The storage drives are effectively plug and play.
  • If you plan on clean installing W7, you might some driver issues on the B450 boards, you either won't be able to or you'll have to download a patch for the MB drivers.
  • You won't be able use your current RAM with the new chipset because it's DDR3, you need DDR4.
  • If it's an old and poor quality PSU, you may want to change the PSU as they all have a shelf life.
  • Don't know your case, if it's an old pre-built you'll just want to verify it's not bespoke so that you can install standard ATX parts.
Dec 4, 2019
Welcome to the forums Tony!

What is your current full system spec including PSU make and model?
What new parts are you planning on putting in it?
The old stuff I am replacing
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, 2800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Samsung hard drive
Asrock 890GX extreem3
Adding
Keeping the Samsung drive
adding
ADM Ryzen 5 260
ASrock B450M Pro4
1000 GB NVMe M.2 SSD

How do I give the full specs? It won't let me copy and paste them

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • The storage drives are effectively plug and play.
  • If you plan on clean installing W7, you might some driver issues on the B450 boards, you either won't be able to or you'll have to download a patch for the MB drivers.
  • You won't be able use your current RAM with the new chipset because it's DDR3, you need DDR4.
  • If it's an old and poor quality PSU, you may want to change the PSU as they all have a shelf life.
  • Don't know your case, if it's an old pre-built you'll just want to verify it's not bespoke so that you can install standard ATX parts.

Reactions: Dopey113
Solution
Dec 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply, my PSU is a 750M CX so I think I am OK with that
Also, thanks for the heads up on the DDR4, I not long bought the DDR3, so I am disappointed that I can't use them
tbh I was thinking of changing the case for a bigger one and more air flow inside ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 Case, the one I am using right now is off the shelf (a bit small but not a mini one)
Thanks for replying and helping me out its appreciated

Hi, and wlecome

Adding to what PCTtailor wrote, I would make atleast 2 partitions on the new SSD, one for the OS and the usual programs (office, antivirus, 7-zip, chrome, firefox, etc.) and another one for your personal data and games.

Also I would use the Windows 7 CD key and try to install Windows 10 instead (you can doanload the "download tool right from microsoft web for free to make a bootable pendrive: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).

Is there any reason you want or need Windows 7?

New CPUs and hardware in general don't usually play well with old OS.

Dec 4, 2019
OK just went to the shop and got Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz 16 GB (2×8 GB)
I hope that will sort all of it out
A big thanks to you all, or I would have wondered why it didn't work!!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
so I think I have to load 7 then upgrade to 10? Is that right?
No, you just download and install W10 directly: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
Then use this guide to install it: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Thanks for the reply, my PSU is a 750M CX so I think I am OK with that
I'm going to guess Green label - pre 2017 platform, in which case it's a poorer quality PSU that's made with low power (non-dedicated or very low power GPUs) in mind. That and depending on how old it is, you might want to replace it. If you're not using a dedicated GPU, it will probably be fine for a while, but remember, PSUs all have a shelf life.

A big thanks to you all, or I would have wondered why it didn't work!!
Nevermind not working, you wouldn't physically be able to insert them!

Glad we could help my friend :)

Reactions: RodroX and Dopey113

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Dec 4, 2019
I honestly don't know less than 5 years old I have changed it (the last one gave up on me) I got this one from Maplins it's a Corsair 750M CX at the time for what I wanted was the dogs and more than enough

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
(the last one gave up on me)
And therein is the issue.

The CXM will probably keep going for a bit, but you might just want to replace it when you can, as that one could quite possible "go" as well, but it will likely keep going for a little while and isn't too bad for lower load systems, so you'll probably be fine for a bit, I just wouldn't rely on it forever, and if you plan on upgrading the GPU, then you might want to reconsider.

This would be fine:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $52.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-05 11:05 EST-0500

Dec 4, 2019
lol I have enough stuff on my computer.... why can't they just have "Upload a File" like most sites? I think that's easier instead of yet another app I will use only once?? lol

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
lol I have enough stuff on my computer.... why can't they just have "Upload a File" like most sites? I think that's easier instead of yet another app I will use only once?? lol
It's not an app, it's an online site - image hosting site.
Simplest way to tell, does the label have green on it, or grey?
Green is this one:
750w-psu.png

However if you bought it before 2017 - it is undoubtedly the one above as the latest platform was 2017+
Old platform = bad
New platform = good

Reactions: Dopey113 and RodroX