Part of flash memory is failing, possible related splash screen issues?

bobhond

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
Hello,

I recently build a computer with the following specs:

Cpu: I5 6400
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA
Ssd: HyperX FURY 240GB
Ram: 8GB 2133 DDR4 HyperX
Psu: Corsair CX430 Bronze 430W
Wifi: Asus PCE-N15 N300

Everything worked fine at first but several days ago I started to notice that the pc takes a little longer to boot. I also noticed that when the bios image splash screen disappears (the image itself is shown just fine), it leaves weird lines on the screen. Kind of like remnants of the splash screen that are “stuck” since they are the same colors as the splash screen itself. On very rare occasions this happens before the image is shown. Sometimes the bios splash screen doesn’t show at all though. I tried to fix this by resetting the CMOS but that didn’t help.

The thing is, I can enter the BIOS just fine and Windows 8.1 loads perfectly every time and doesn’t crash or anything. I had some problems with windows update (which I fixed) but when I was looking at the event viewer I noticed that there are bad sectors in the ssd. The command sfc /scannow also reveals that there are unresolved issues. I then used the following command:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Afterwards, I scanned the ssd with the tool ‘ssd toolbox’ from Kingston to scan the drive for errors. It ended prematurely with the following error:

“The previous SMART extended self test completed having the read element of the test failed. Part of flash memory is failing.”

I’m thinking about RMA’ing the ssd but I’m not sure if the motherboard itself is also faulty, given the weird artifacting after (or before) the splash screen is shown. Are these issues related? Would a new drive solve both problems at once?

I'm sorry if this post is placed in the wrong place but there are definitely problems with the SSD which is why I chose to put it here.

bobhond

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
So, since I suspected the motherboard was bad I decided to check for broken or bend pins. Luckily, everything seemed ok.
I was also thinking about problems with the drivers but then I got the idea to change the monitor.
It all works fine now! I rebooted several times and didn’t see anything strange. When I hooked up the old monitor, and another one just like it (the same model) the glitches reappeared so I think I’ve found the problem (for now).
This also explains why all the rest seems to work the way it should, except for the bad sector errors.

I’m still going to RMA the ssd though, but the motherboard itself seems fine.
I know my question was weird to begin with since the bios isn’t stored on the ssd but I was really scared that the two issues were related.
The computer is for my brother so I don’t want to screw up :).