Part Swapping for Gaming

MadMax18

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
I have an old prebuilt system and I'm looking to upgrade one or two parts at a time due to budget reasons. Honestly, the whole thing may be a waste if it doesn't work in the end, but I know the system works right now and I don't want to have to fork out a ton of cash to start a fresh build.

It's an eMachine T3104
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 100GB harddrive
Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G (2x512MB) RAM
PhoenixBIOS Pentium IV motherboard
AMD Sempron 3100+/1.8GHz processor
Bestec 300W max power supply

http://www.cnet.com/products/emachines-t3104/specs/ is where I got all the information I couldn't find out by taking it apart.

I'm looking to make it a halfway decent gaming rig without blowing the bank all at once. For now I'm way more concerned with speed than I am with graphics (i.e. I'd rather it booted up and ran without lag than crystal clear picture).

It's running Windows XP right now, and it doesn't have a WiFi card so those are probably my first two things to get done.

I've never done a build before, this would be my first time swapping any parts, but I've taken apart and put back together a fair bit of electronics so I know a little bit around a case.

Any help I can get would be fantastic.

Solution
You will have to save up and go for a new system.
There is nothing you can do for that system, it is far too old. That is the problem with old hardware, it has to be replaced in one go.

fredfinks

Honorable
You dont upgrade a thing like that. Are you aware of its vintage? Its older than Methuselah

Tell us your budget and we'll recommend you a new system. Id also consider ebay an option.
Are you using a CRT by any chance? What monitor are you using? man things have changed in the pc world. give us some decent $ to work with and youll be blown away compared to that model T youre currently using.

MadMax18

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
My problem is I can't afford a full system build right now, and I want something that I can still use while I'm saving up for the next upgrade. That's why I don't have a straight budget number. I know it's older than old, I think I paid less than $10 when I bought it (I just wanted it to run a program 24/7 and nothing else).