Question part-swapping

BoodaGazelle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
We have bought Dell computers for 20 years or more, and never really had any problems.
My wife's Dell Latitude 3500 laptop hinge just broke at just under 1 year, and although
it is still under warranty (technically) Dell said it was not covered.

She has the following for memory and hard drive:
Storage:
SSDR, 256G, P32, 30S3, TOSHIBA, BG3 Quantity: 1
Memory:
DIMM, 8GB, 2666, 1RX8, 8G, DDR4, S Quantity: 1

I would like to get a new Inspiron 15 3000 and use her memory and SSD.
The one I am looking at says it has

RAM: 4GB, 1x4GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Drive: 128GB M.2 PciE NVMe SSD

Now that I type this, I see that the Inspiron has M.2... probably not compatible with the Latitude drive.

Mainly, is my idea of using the Latitude for parts reasonable? If the drive interface is the same,
will I be able to just boot her existing Windows installation on the new Inspiron?

Thanks,

Mitch

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Check to be sure the parts aren't soldered in to either one...

I have an Inspiron 15 5xxx (IIRC) that came with a 2.5" drive installed but also has an M.2 slot available to populate. This one came with one available memory slot, the stock stick does not appear to be removable.

Reactions: BoodaGazelle
"If the drive interface is the same,
will I be able to just boot her existing Windows installation on the new Inspiron?"

If the drive interface is the same you should be able to use the drive.

BUT...I wouldn't try using her existing Windows install.
This has huge potential to cause problems.

Reactions: BoodaGazelle

BoodaGazelle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
We have bought Dell computers for 20 years or more, and never really had any problems.
My wife's Dell Latitude 3500 laptop hinge just broke at just under 1 year, and although
it is still under warranty (technically) Dell said it was not covered.

She has the following for memory and hard drive:
Storage:
SSDR, 256G, P32, 30S3, TOSHIBA, BG3 Quantity: 1
Memory:
DIMM, 8GB, 2666, 1RX8, 8G, DDR4, S Quantity: 1

I would like to get a new Inspiron 15 3000 and use her memory and SSD.
The one I am looking at says it has

RAM: 4GB, 1x4GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Drive: 128GB M.2 PciE NVMe SSD

Now that I type this, I see that the Inspiron has M.2... probably not compatible with the Latitude drive.

Mainly, is my idea of using the Latitude for parts reasonable? If the drive interface is the same,
will I be able to just boot her existing Windows installation on the new Inspiron?

Thanks,

Mitch
What about the memory? It looks to me from the specs I posted that the Latitude has a single 8G DDR, while the Inspiron has a single 4G DDR. Is it likely that the Inspiron would be able to use the 8G part?

What about the memory? It looks to me from the specs I posted that the Latitude has a single 8G DDR, while the Inspiron has a single 4G DDR. Is it likely that the Inspiron would be able to use the 8G part?
I haven't been able to find much info regarding that laptop and memory upgrades.....which isn't all that surprising to me for a Dell Laptop. Dell tends to make things...not that easy sometimes.