Question Partial Upgrade

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Sorry for wasting your time..but i Really need help to decide something
I am now building my own gaming pc (a.k.a. slowly upgrading it)and i was now deciding between 3 components, but i can only choose 2

-A bigger Ssd
-A new 144Hz monitor
-16gb Ram

Current Specs:

i5-6600
Asus H110m-k
8GB RAM single stick
110gb SATA SSD
500 Watts Psu
Asus VS197DE LED Monitor

Summer Specs (Parts i'll have in july)

Ryzen 7 2700/1800X
RTX 2060/ Gtx 1660
Motherboard Asus Strix X570-F Gaming/MSI X570 A Pro
Arctic Freezer 34 Sport Duo
(The rest that is missing is old parts)

I apologize if my grammar isn't good, i am not a native english speaker

My budget is 200 Euros and i'll be using mostly used components

What is the growth rate in GB per year of the occupied space on your SSD?

If it is 50 GB per year, you will need more storage very soon.

If it is 5 GB per year, you probably won't and should likely spend the money elsewhere.

You should be able to estimate the growth rate easily based on past experience.

How much is occupied right now?

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
I'd go with the larger SSD and the new monitor. You don't want to purchase RAM now, only to find out it's too slow or not compatible with you new motherboard (that you're getting in July).

Just my opinion.

-Wolf sends

The RAM kit i wanted is compatible with my future motherboard

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
What is the growth rate in GB per year of the occupied space on your SSD?

If it is 50 GB per year, you will need more storage very soon.

If it is 5 GB per year, you probably won't and should likely spend the money elsewhere.

You should be able to estimate the growth rate easily based on past experience.

How much is occupied right now?

I don't know exactly the growth, i bought this pc last year and it had 92GB available, and now i only have 9,48GB, but the number never increased much since february

I don't know the growth, but i know that i only have 9,48GB available

Can you delete anything from the drive?

Are you running Disk Cleanup regularly?

If not and if you have no idea at all of the growth rate, I'd say a larger SSD is at the top of your list. Windows Update alone might take a big chunk out of that 9.48 at any time.

If you had 25 gb available and the growth rate was say 5 gb per year, I'd probably say don't upgrade the drive right now. But that is not the case.

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Can you delete anything from the drive?

Are you running Disk Cleanup regularly?

If not and if you have no idea at all of the growth rate, I'd say a larger SSD is at the top of your list. Windows Update alone might take a big chunk out of that 9.48 at any time.

If you had 25 gb available and the growth rate was say 5 gb per year, I'd probably say don't upgrade the drive right now. But that is not the case.

I've tried, i searched save files for deleted games, games i din't used in general, and in disk cleanup could only release 200ish Mb, so the 9,48 has been consistant

But then there are the other problems, the 8gb are fine for some of my games, and then it bottlenecks in minecraft, and ryzen cpus love dual channel

And the monitor his only 720p! (or 768) and 60hz with a response time of 5ms and a color accuracy worse than my phone

disk cleanup could only release 200ish Mb, so the 9,48 has been consistant

the 8gb are fine for some of my games, and then it bottlenecks in minecraft, and ryzen cpus love dual channel

And the monitor his only 720p! (or 768) and 60hz with a response time of 5ms and a color accuracy worse than my phone

Did you include the "system files" option when you ran Disk Cleanup?

Do you use hibernation? If not, you can save that space.

Are you letting Windows manage your virtual memory?

You can get a decent 256 GB SSD for 50 dollars in the US. I don't know about where you are.

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Did you include the "system files" option when you ran Disk Cleanup?

Do you use hibernation? If not, you can save that space.

Are you letting Windows manage your virtual memory?

You can get a decent 256 GB SSD for 50 dollars in the US. I don't know about where you are.

I actually forgot to clean the system files after the last update, but yeah, usualy i clean it

I use hybernation very often

And Windows manages my memory

I live in europe, but the price are almost the same as in the US, what i've been thinking is buying the Ram and the monitor, then i would wait until i could get a 1Tb or a 2Tb m.2

then i would wait until i could get a 1Tb or a 2Tb m.2

Why would you buy a 1 TB or 2 TB drive when you said earlier in this thread that you don't know the growth rate of your storage requirements?

If you knew that 9 gb free was going to stay at 9 gb, I'd buy the RAM and monitor. But I don't know how you would know that.

Do you have any interactions with Windows Update at all? It has a way of playing with multiple gigabytes of your free space....with you having minimal control.

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Why would you buy a 1 TB or 2 TB drive when you said earlier in this thread that you don't know the growth rate of your storage requirements?

If you knew that 9 gb free was going to stay at 9 gb, I'd buy the RAM and monitor. But I don't know how you would know that.

Do you have any interactions with Windows Update at all? It has a way of playing with multiple gigabytes of your free space....with you having minimal control.

I don't know the growth rate because i forgot how to calculate it properly, but has i said i had 92Gb available when i bought this pc last year, and already occupied 82gb of it in just a few months, and i've had those 9gb available since february
I wanted a 1Tb SSD because of my game library, there are a lot of games i want to play.

And what do you meen by "interactions with Windows Update "?
If it is updating i do it

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
to the OP. That free space left in your SSD is scarily small. I'd prioritize buying a larger SSD over anything else, if put into the same situation as you.

this is my pc. I always have 50 gb or more free space for each SSD / HDD.

Ok, so i need the ssd, but the other thing, Ram or Monitor? I'm thinking in Ram

I don't know the growth rate because i forgot how to calculate it properly, but has i said i had 92Gb available when i bought this pc last year, and already occupied 82gb of it in just a few months, and i've had those 9gb available since february
I wanted a 1Tb SSD because of my game library, there are a lot of games i want to play.

And what do you meen by "interactions with Windows Update "?
If it is updating i do it

You are the ONLY one who can determine with any accuracy how much added storage you might need at any point in time......and whether that is a need or a want.

You grease the squeakiest wheel. Which is most annoying to you?

Some of that will be guesswork. If your monitor drops dead 1 minute from now, it may go to the top of your list. Nothing you can do about that.

I have NO idea how much your gaming experience might improve with more RAM.

I don't know what would happen if you had 2 GB free and Windows wanted to do a 3 GB update. I never have had storage space issues.

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
You are the ONLY one who can determine with any accuracy how much added storage you might need at any point in time......and whether that is a need or a want.

You grease the squeakiest wheel. Which is most annoying to you?

Some of that will be guesswork. If your monitor drops dead 1 minute from now, it may go to the top of your list. Nothing you can do about that.

I have NO idea how much your gaming experience might improve with more RAM.

I don't know what would happen if you had 2 GB free and Windows wanted to do a 3 GB update. I never have had storage space issues.
First of all, 1Tb is mostly a want, 500gb is fine

Second..i am really slow to understand, so.. what do you mean by "You grease the squeakiest wheel. Which is most annoying to you? "

Third, more ram, (dual channel in my case) would greatly improve performance

Second..i am really slow to understand, so.. what do you mean by "You grease the squeakiest wheel. Which is most annoying to you? "

It means to prioritize in your preferred manner, whatever that may be.

Separating needs from wants, as you did on hard drive size of 500 gb rather than 1 TB.

No one but you knows what is most important to you.

If more RAM will "greatly" improve performance, but another monitor would not, then buy the RAM.

You get to define "greatly".

Sorry for wasting your time..but i Really need help to decide something
I am now building my own gaming pc (a.k.a. slowly upgrading it)and i was now deciding between 3 components, but i can only choose 2

-A bigger Ssd
-A new 144Hz monitor
-16gb Ram

Current Specs:

i5-6600
Asus H110m-k
8GB RAM single stick
110gb SATA SSD
500 Watts Psu
Asus VS197DE LED Monitor

Summer Specs (Parts i'll have in july)

Ryzen 7 2700/1800X
RTX 2060/ Gtx 1660
Motherboard Asus Strix X570-F Gaming/MSI X570 A Pro
Arctic Freezer 34 Sport Duo
(The rest that is missing is old parts)

I apologize if my grammar isn't good, i am not a native english speaker

My budget is 200 Euros and i'll be using mostly used components
Just an opinion.

If your sure you can move the ram to the new mobo.
  1. ram
  2. ssd
  3. monitor

If you stop using hibernate it will free up a chunk of storage.

Bia_

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Just an opinion.

If your sure you can move the ram to the new mobo.
  1. ram
  2. ssd
  3. monitor
If you stop using hibernate it will free up a chunk of storage.
Yeah, i can move it to the new motherboard, but most of my games use more ram
And how do i delete hibernate? How much space it would free?