Partially 3D-Printed Rifle Manages to Fire 6 Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The reason gun control laws are pointless. In an age where several tv shows showcase individuals capable of assembling cars, motorcycles, and punkin shooters from scratch does anyone believe if guns were banned people would not assemble devices that make a pistol look like a toy.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
The only part of that rifle that was made from the printer is the thing you see in green (the lower receiver)... all of the internal parts + upper receiver have to be metal. Although in the U.S. the only part of an AR15 which is legally considered a firearm is the lower, so you could make that yourself and buy everything else online w/out a background check.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I see that upper is actually a Ar-Five Seven and not a Ar-15. It fires the 5.7x28 mm round and not the 5.56/.223.
I seriously doubt it would have lasted more than one round of 5.56.

Still cool though.

G

It is PERFECTLY LEGAL under US Law for ANYONE who is legally able to own a firearm to build their own firearm. There is nothing illegal about using a 3D printer to do this.

The point that this becomes illegal is when the firearm is sold, or even given away. The law allows for you to build it for your own use. To sell it you must file paperwork with the ATF and pay their fees and taxes.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You can build ur own gun... It's actually very easy...

We've been doing it since the 12th century....

It's people that think it's taboo to have anything to do with a gun is the problem... >_>

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]flyer4096[/nom]It is PERFECTLY LEGAL under US Law for ANYONE who is legally able to own a firearm to build their own firearm. There is nothing illegal about using a 3D printer to do this.The point that this becomes illegal is when the firearm is sold, or even given away. The law allows for you to build it for your own use. To sell it you must file paperwork with the ATF and pay their fees and taxes.[/citation]
[citation][nom]flyer4096[/nom]It is PERFECTLY LEGAL under US Law for ANYONE who is legally able to own a firearm to build their own firearm. There is nothing illegal about using a 3D printer to do this.The point that this becomes illegal is when the firearm is sold, or even given away. The law allows for you to build it for your own use. To sell it you must file paperwork with the ATF and pay their fees and taxes.[/citation]

Yeah on the federal level. But one should always check state laws since there are restrictions from them. Like for example in Cali you cannot make a gun that is of your own design without a manufacturer's license. It would be considered a "zip gun" and thus illegal; only deisgns "based on xyz" are allowed.

Always check with an agency or better yet an attorney or two before going around manufacturing parts even for your personal use.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
The whole article is misleading. Especially the title. Any uneducated tree huger (no offence) will start screaming that this guy should be jailed and 3D printing heavily regulated. I mean.. really? Though we just started whole Internet 3D printing ordering and already got some jackass showing off.
I can't wait to print my first 3D items that I have made on PC. I jJust hope that there will be lack of idiots trying to print some lethal stuff.

[citation][nom]adrhellb[/nom]Files from the Internet?'Mam, we belive your car is an illegal download.'[/citation]
As cool as the Star Trek replicator idea is, this is the big deal that would have to be overcome. How do you regulate safety on a device where you could potentially make anything? You could make a scooter that will fall apart and kill you on the street. And forget about guns, how hard would it be to make a bomb with a 3D printer? It would be really really easy, and you could pack it in just about any type of housing.
Will most people do this type of thing? Absolutely not. Cost of entry is too high, and the quality of the output is too low. But as things get better, it will be a bigger issue.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok so what did they make exactly, because i dont get it.[/citation]
It's the light grey part in the picture at top. An AR15 has an "upper receiver" that connects to the barrel, holds some other parts, and a "lower reciever" that houses the trigger assembly & pistol grip. It is actually considered the firearm for legal purposes.

G

Just another failure for the M-16 class of rifles ;-P

Seriously though, while I hate M-16/AR rifles, who would buy a rifle with a "plastic" receiver? Or even try to print and build one? For $350.00 (or less) Anyone can purchase a decent AK and not have a failure after 6 shots. Good materials for firearms: Steel and wood. Bad materials for firearms: Aluminum and plastic. Just saying.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]As cool as the Star Trek replicator idea is, this is the big deal that would have to be overcome. How do you regulate safety on a device where you could potentially make anything? You could make a scooter that will fall apart and kill you on the street. And forget about guns, how hard would it be to make a bomb with a 3D printer? It would be really really easy, and you could pack it in just about any type of housing.Will most people do this type of thing? Absolutely not. Cost of entry is too high, and the quality of the output is too low. But as things get better, it will be a bigger issue.[/citation]

Actually this is the type of issue people uneducated in firearms will scream foul about. I can easily manufacture several types of dangerous devices from stuff I have laying around. If I go to Home Depot the sky's the limit.

To correctly create a firearm still requires considerable skill, regardless of whether or not your using a 3D printer. Someone with this level of skill could easily use a lathe or drill press to create a firearm, these are readily available. There isn't an issue with people using these to make firearms because people who can afford to do so and have the skill can easily obtain a firearm some other way.

So much for 'Gun Control' now anyone can print their gun especially once the composites used in printing get stronger.

I 'get' the barrel, firing pin, springs, etc are metal, but this is scary nonetheless.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I ordered a Replicator 2 a few weeks ago, not for making gun parts but I can see some bureaucrat start lobbying against 3-D printers because they can be used for making gun parts. There are a lot of good reasons for having a 3D printer but takes only a few idiots with to much money or too few brain cells to screw things up for a whole new industry.

oboelcke

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]JustPosting88[/nom]Just another failure for the M-16 class of rifles ;-PSeriously though, while I hate M-16/AR rifles, who would buy a rifle with a "plastic" receiver? Or even try to print and build one? For $350.00 (or less) Anyone can purchase a decent AK and not have a failure after 6 shots. Good materials for firearms: Steel and wood. Bad materials for firearms: Aluminum and plastic. Just saying.[/citation]
What failures are you talking about? Where can you get an AK for $350 or less?
FN, HK, and just about every other top tier manufacturers are incorporating polymers into their firearms. Some like the FN SCAR utilize Polymer lowers.
A bunch of hooey I say.

Actually In 1988 a small Florida company called Red Eye Arms claimed it was going to have a prototype plastic grenade launcher ready in 18 to 24 months. Congress got so spooked by the publicity about plastic weapons, even theoretical ones, that it banned their production in the U.S. -- so not sure if it is in fact Perfectly Legal as you claim !!

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JustPosting88[/nom]Just another failure for the M-16 class of rifles ;-PSeriously though, while I hate M-16/AR rifles, who would buy a rifle with a "plastic" receiver? Or even try to print and build one? For $350.00 (or less) Anyone can purchase a decent AK and not have a failure after 6 shots. Good materials for firearms: Steel and wood. Bad materials for firearms: Aluminum and plastic. Just saying.[/citation]

Your prejudice against ARs seems to be unjustified. The AR platform today, is very reliable and arguably the most versatile weapon platform in the world. The AK-47 and its variants may be the most reliable but its accuracy is terrible at long distances and it is not nearly as easy or natural to operate as the AR platform. I love a good AK too, but if I had to choose between one of them when my life was depending on it, I would choose the AR-15 without a doubt. Btw, I'm currently serving so I've been able to fire plenty of both.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The T1000 cannot mimic objects with moving parts or chemicals. So it cannot be a gun or a bomb. Only simple weapons: knives, blades, ...

And this is also why the 3D printer alone is not a replicator. Now if you printed a 3D negative of a part (basically, a mold), and then used that mold with the right material to cast parts, you can make much more interesting stuff. I doubt the 3D plastic can withstand high temperatures, though, so you might actually need to print a "positive" plastic mold for making a "negative" ceramic mold. Print the plastic mold, fill it with some liquid that dries as a ceramic, and then use that ceramic mold to cast metal parts. You lose a lot of precision in the mold process, so this probably wouldn't work for high-precision parts such as bearings, axles, slides or gears.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
People worry about guns because it's something simple the majority can understand.

The bigger problems in this country are genetically modified foods, improper use of growth hormones and antibiotics in the food chain. The majority can't comprehend the consequences of that so it hardly comes up. Yet a mishap there could wipe half the population.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

it depends on the parts and the cost. anything thats meant to fire, that needs to be steel, anything that is cosmetic or sued to hold the gun, that can be plastic and aluminum. so long as it doesn't effect accuracy or durability, it would be perfect parts to make lighter than using wood.

[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]It's the light grey part in the picture at top. An AR15 has an "upper receiver" that connects to the barrel, holds some other parts, and a "lower reciever" that houses the trigger assembly & pistol grip. It is actually considered the firearm for legal purposes.[/citation]

ok i know very little about guns, so basically the lower receiver is the trigger area and the upper is where the bullet is chambered and comes out.

when they say printed a gun, they really mean just these two parts, you still need all the others to be normal barrels and such?

if my understanding is correct, what is the big deal? if you are a good enough artist, you could probably do the exact same thing with manual skills.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Actually this is the type of issue people uneducated in firearms will scream foul about. I can easily manufacture several types of dangerous devices from stuff I have laying around. If I go to Home Depot the sky's the limit. To correctly create a firearm still requires considerable skill, regardless of whether or not your using a 3D printer. Someone with this level of skill could easily use a lathe or drill press to create a firearm, these are readily available. There isn't an issue with people using these to make firearms because people who can afford to do so and have the skill can easily obtain a firearm some other way.[/citation]

i wouldnt even say skill there, because all you really need to do on a lathe is know how to run it, which isn't hard, and the specifications on the part, which if they are 3d printable, isn't the hardest thing to find either.

[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]And this is also why the 3D printer alone is not a replicator. Now if you printed a 3D negative of a part (basically, a mold), and then used that mold with the right material to cast parts, you can make much more interesting stuff. I doubt the 3D plastic can withstand high temperatures, though, so you might actually need to print a "positive" plastic mold for making a "negative" ceramic mold. Print the plastic mold, fill it with some liquid that dries as a ceramic, and then use that ceramic mold to cast metal parts. You lose a lot of precision in the mold process, so this probably wouldn't work for high-precision parts such as bearings, axles, slides or gears.[/citation]

now correct me if im wrong here. but clay is soft an malleable when wet, than when dry it gets harder and more hard to mold, but still not all that difficult, but you fire it... well there you go, its now hard enough to make into knives that don't lose edges.

apply this to plastic, im not doubting that there is a plastic that once you make it its soft enough you could chew it, but the moment it gets heated up and cools down, it would sooner shatter your teeth than chew able again.

will it be better than metal... probably not, but would it be a good enough replacement for most home needs and probalby fairly heat resistant, i think yes.

if you stop looking at this only as a will this be usefull in my every day life, and looking at it as more of a fun project maker, you really start to see the fun and use in a 3d printer lies right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.