bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Hi All,

Just looking for opionin here. When you are building a new machine, do you typically partition the drive into one or multiple sections.

For example, many drives I see partition 10% of the drive space to be for windows and the rest for whatever...
In which case you have two drive names for one physical drive
C:
E:
(or whatever they may be).

I have always just made one partion and put the OS and everything else on it. Are there pros and cons to making partitions?

Looking forward to your input,

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
The main pro is that when you inevitably have to reinstall windows, the partition isn't very big so you save yourself some time. Unfortunately, you still need to reinstall your programs, so I personally don't see a lot of point. I keep one partition/disk for Windows and programs, and another for stuff you don't need to reinstall (music,videos,emails).

However, if you have a "ghosting" program, then keeping a partition just for windows makes a lot of sense. You can ghost your o/s partition, and then if anything goes wrong you can just recover your ghosted o/s - and save all that reinstalling hassle.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Your best option is to have two partitions. One for Windows and your programs, and the other for data, pictures, etc. That way, if you have to reinstall Windows, your valuable data is safe on the other partition. That is, safe as long as your hard drive remains good. Do regular backups of important data.