Partition Architecture HDD storage

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
hi all, i just finished partitioning a hdd for the first time. It will be my storage drive (former boot Win7) drive complimenting a Corsair 115GB boot ssd. This is my first build, so please keep that in mind because I'm a noob.

f: 500GB for music, movie, pics and docs.
g: 230GB for installed programs and relocated windows folders. (Windows page files and user's folders)
h: the balance is unallocated at this time. Reserved for maybe umbutu/xp,etc.

Would it be better to install programs on f: ?
Do you think the size of each is adequate?
Is is bad to keep changing and deleting volumes?

Please feel free to give any advise or cautions. I have read all the SSD articles at Tom's and i want to buy tecmo a drink.

Tanks guys.

Solution
I think personally I would put Essentials on the HDD. It is really a toss up though as any scans will depend on the files that it is checking so no matter where you install it, it will still be limited by how fast it can read the files on the HDD.

On a side note (this isn't really backed up by anything but personal preference) I usually stay away from Windows Essentials. I will give you that it can be convenient at times but to me it is kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket. If something is targeting Windows do you really think that a Windows application is going to find it? I usually stick with 3rd party antivirus software, there are plenty of free ones out there that are very good (malwarebytes, spybot SD, etc.) The...

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
That sounds great to me. Seems like you have thought it through pretty well. I would say that you could make the programs partition a bit smaller if you wanted more space for your files and things.

btw, 115GB is very large for an OS. You wouldn't have any problems make anywhere from 40-60GB a partition on the ssd for your OS (depends on how careful you will be not installing programs on the default C: drive). Then you have at least 50GB for anything (files, programs, etc.) that you want to speed up.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

I thought of this but since I will only install the OS, virus protection, gpu drivers and 2 or 3 games on the SSD whats the point? If I have a failure and need to reinstall it no biggie, right?
Where should I put "Windows Essentials"?

Tanks

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I think personally I would put Essentials on the HDD. It is really a toss up though as any scans will depend on the files that it is checking so no matter where you install it, it will still be limited by how fast it can read the files on the HDD.

On a side note (this isn't really backed up by anything but personal preference) I usually stay away from Windows Essentials. I will give you that it can be convenient at times but to me it is kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket. If something is targeting Windows do you really think that a Windows application is going to find it? I usually stick with 3rd party antivirus software, there are plenty of free ones out there that are very good (malwarebytes, spybot SD, etc.) The only proof I have of this is the fact that I run symantec, spybot, and defender and defender rarely catches the things that spybot or symantec do. Just my 2 cents.

Solution