Question Partition HDD

Let windows installation automatically do that.
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Clean the drive before install using diskpart clean method.

undo-diskpart.png

Reactions: vimu1506
Aug 7, 2021
I have one drive but I want to partition it into 3 partitions. So how am I do it correctly while installing windows. (Actually I need to do a clean install windows because of I'm experiencing some problems on my laptop)

Aug 7, 2021
Create 3 new partitions with the size you want. Then select one and install windows onto that partition. Windows will divide the selected partition into multiple partitions as is required for Windows to function.
Do I need to delete all the partiotions first including system reserved also?

Create 3 new partitions with the size you want. Then select one and install windows onto that partition. Windows will divide the selected partition into multiple partitions as is required for Windows to function.
Wrong.
For normal operation windows needs to have several partitions - separate bootloader, separate OS partition. Also recovery partition is created (not essential though).
All of that needs to be created correctly. If you do that manually, you need to know, what you're doing.

Let windows do its thing.
After windows is installed, you can resize OS partition and create additional partitions, if necessary.

Read here for windows compatible partitioning.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-biosmbr-based-hard-drive-partitions

Last edited:
Wrong.
For normal operation windows needs to have several partitions - separate bootloader, separate OS partition. Also recovery partition is created (not essential though).
All of that needs to be created correctly. If you do that manually, you need to know, what you're doing.
Right, Windows does need several partitions. If you create 3 partitions and select windows to install onto one portion, Windows will create partitions on the selected portion of the disk as it needs.

Its no different than creating one big partition and selecting Windows to install onto that. Windows will partition that part of the disk as it needs.

Once Windows installs you should then see 3 drive letters like I believe the OP wants.

Right, Windows does need several partitions. If you create 3 partitions and select windows to install onto one portion, Windows will create partitions on the selected portion of the disk as it needs.
If all space on the drive has been used up by your custom partitions, then windows install can not automatically create a bootloader partition.
In UEFI mode install fails then.

Not to argue, but its no different than installing it onto one partition that takes up the full space on your disk. It will take the one partition and divide it up, creating room for the bootloader partition etc.

Your C: drive will be smaller than the partition size you selected to install Windows onto in order to make room for these other requited partitions that Windows will put there automatically.

Aug 7, 2021
Not to argue, but its no different than installing it onto one partition that takes up the full space on your disk. It will take the one partition and divide it up, creating room for the bootloader partition etc.

Your C: drive will be smaller than the partition size you selected to install Windows onto in order to make room for these other requited partitions that Windows will put there automatically.
Thank you very much. I will try a method that you two said