Partition issue.. please help.

wutangclams

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hi-

Im setting up a build with the OS on an 80gig SSD and four 500gig HHDs to be set up in raid 10 array.

My issue is.. after installing win7, windows seems to have put some data on one of the HDDs, which i was hoping to be all unallocated space waiting for formatting and raid setup.

[see image below]

Is there any way to move that partition to the SSD? Why would windows just pick a disk? it never prompted me.

Thanks for your help.

JoshWS

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Did you select that drive when insalling windows ? The only advice I can give is uninstalling windows and removing the partition then re-installing with only the SSD connected.

This is standard behaviour for a Windows installation - if it can find space on a drive other than the OS drive then it creates its 100MB system recovery partition on it. The way to avoid this is to make sure there are no other drives connected except the one you want to install Windows to when you do the install procedure.

^+1 to JoshWS - the only way I know of to solve this is to reinstall with the other drives disconnected.

wutangclams

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
okay.. so I disconnected the HDDs and rebooted with the windows 7 cd in the drive.

When I boot from the cd.. it starts BOOTMGR and says:
Choose an OS to Start:
WINDOWS SETUP [EMS Enabled]
but doesn't respond to any selections or attempts to get into sub menus. The only thing it will let you do, is ESC back into the bootup process.

If i try to boot from the SSD, it says:
BOOTMGR is missing. Press ALT CTRL DEL to reboot, and dosent respond to the keyboard.

When I reconnect the HDDs its the same story.. so now I cant get past booting from the CD, nor booting from the SSD with or without the HDDs connected.

I seem to be in a bit of a spot here. Any suggestions?

wutangclams

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
okay.. so i used gparted and deleted the partition into unallocated oblivion.

..now its letting me set up win7 properly without the spinners attached..

thanks for your help,., hopefully this will get windows going and then ill attach the hdds and get them going.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS