Question Partition problem (and more)

Jan 26, 2020
Hello, this weekend I tried to resurrect my old Macbook Pro from 2011 to give it to my gf's mom. There was a Snow Leopard on it (and a Win XP on a 2nd partition). I wanted to upgrade the OS. I kinda did, kinda because it was a bit troublesome, I have not been on Mac for a few years. I can't remember all the steps I've been through but here is the situation I'm in now:
I have an ElCapitan OS installed on a small partition (31gb, called snow because its was intended differently, long story) and a large Macintosh HD partition that is empty and I can't change the size of the Elcapitan partition. I would like the ElCapitan Os to be on the Macintosh HD partition. Is it possible or can I at least in some way enlarge the second partition containing the OS?

CloudyFaygo

Prominent
Sep 23, 2019
Hello, this weekend I tried to resurrect my old Macbook Pro from 2011 to give it to my gf's mom. There was a Snow Leopard on it (and a Win XP on a 2nd partition). I wanted to upgrade the OS. I kinda did, kinda because it was a bit troublesome, I have not been on Mac for a few years. I can't remember all the steps I've been through but here is the situation I'm in now:
I have an ElCapitan OS installed on a small partition (31gb, called snow because its was intended differently, long story) and a large Macintosh HD partition that is empty and I can't change the size of the Elcapitan partition. I would like the ElCapitan Os to be on the Macintosh HD partition. Is it possible or can I at least in some way enlarge the second partition containing the OS?

Honestly I would recommend that you wipe the drive completely and re-install the OS through the Internet Recovery Mode (Assuming you do not have a valid ISO). Yes you will only be able to push out the existing OS but since you have not been on the device in years then it might have been missing some important Firmware updates. I noticed that when a device is offline for a given period of time, sometimes the trigger requests for updates can be overlooked. The reason I am mentioning this is because when you want to upgrade the OS (as mentioned) you might run into an boot loop error or something of that nature. I have found its because the device has never gotten the correct firmware push it needed upon the original launch of said firmware. A simple "check for updates" does not resolve this issue.