Partition won't extend over unallocated space, says there is not enough space when there is

garretlars83

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
How can I extend the volume of my HDD to cover unallocated space? Or do I need to wipe the whole drive and if so how?
Disk management shows the order of the drive as: 450MB Healthy (Recovery Partition), 100MB Healthy (EFI Partition), New Volume ( D: ) 464.38 GB NTFS Healthy, 845MB Healthy (Recovery Partition), and 465.75 GB Unallocated.
New Volume ( D: ) is marked as Simple volume.
I recently installed a SSD 120GB to my desktop for the OS and want to use the HDD 1TB for storage, programs and games. The HDD is what I was booting and running off of.

Solution
Windows disk management will only allow you to expand a partition to its right. In your case you cannot extend because there is that recovery partition in the middle. You either need to delete it or move it around with a third party software.

WARNING: Along with that disclaimer(I don't take the responsibility if you screw up etc) it's kinda dangerous to deal with partitions. Make sure that you get a backup with Macrium Reflect or some program that does the same thing, and double-check if you select the right partition. Be warned that if you have a factory recovery partition came with that computer it will probably refuse to work after you use a third party software. You'll be off with the backup you made.

The part deletion...
Easiest to use a bootable third-party partition manager. The included Windows Disk Manager can only expand a volume to adjacent space, while the 3rd party ones (many of which are free) can move existing partitions around too to line things up.

BTW you can get rid of the recovery partitions if you are on Windows 10. They no longer work after you have upgraded to a newer version (e.g. 1607-1703-1709 about every 6 months), so you'd need the latest bootable media on USB or DVD anyway.

Delete "845MB Healthy (Recovery Partition)" and you'll be able to extend volume D: .
(you may need to use diskpart to do that).
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x
    (x - number of drive containing D: partition)
    list volume
    select volume y
    (y - number of 845MB recovery partition)
    delete partition override
    exit
Be carefull. Don't delete the wrong partition!

Apr 14, 2018
Windows disk management will only allow you to expand a partition to its right. In your case you cannot extend because there is that recovery partition in the middle. You either need to delete it or move it around with a third party software.

WARNING: Along with that disclaimer(I don't take the responsibility if you screw up etc) it's kinda dangerous to deal with partitions. Make sure that you get a backup with Macrium Reflect or some program that does the same thing, and double-check if you select the right partition. Be warned that if you have a factory recovery partition came with that computer it will probably refuse to work after you use a third party software. You'll be off with the backup you made.

The part deletion instructions given by BFG-9000 is simple but it will delete that partition.

If you don't want to you'll have to download a third party software such as Aomei Partition Assistant or EaseUS Partition Master. It may be hidden within settings, but it's probably done with "Resize Partition". Here's the way for EaseUS:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/merge-non-adjacent-partitions-windows-10.html
It'll probably restart and enter its subsystem to resize. Make sure that power won't abruptly go off run a disk defrag and chkdsk before starting, and give it a few hours. It's doing hard work carrying tons of files around.

At the end you'll see that this space is working.

Alternatively you can make a partition on that unallocated space and merge these two with the same software.

Solution