Partitioning a Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuclear101

Honorable
Hi,

So I recently had built a computer, but I'm afraid that I am going to get a computer virus. I have two partitions, C: (for windows 7 home premium 64-bit) and F:, where I store all my data. So:

1. If a virus infects one partition, will it be able to infect other partitions?

2. If it doesn't, then how do I create a new small partition (eg. G:) that is about 50 GB so that everything I download goes into it? I want it to be in my F: drive because I have a 1TB hdd (seagate barracuda) and there's a ton of unused space (~900GB)?

Thanks!
Nuclear101

Solution
Depends on the virus, but many if not most will infect both partitions. A "good" virus will infect your hardware and anything connected to it by ANY means.

Better to not get one in the first place. Sounds simple, but you are already preparing for it. Get a good anti-virus (free is fine) MS Essentials is finally mature for 7 unless you want more hands on control. Be very careful what you click, there is alot of BS on the internet. Don't open random attachments until you confirm someone sent you something. If it sounds too good to true, or too bad to wait, it's probably a trick. Etc. etc. etc. just be smart,

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Depends on the virus, but many if not most will infect both partitions. A "good" virus will infect your hardware and anything connected to it by ANY means.

Better to not get one in the first place. Sounds simple, but you are already preparing for it. Get a good anti-virus (free is fine) MS Essentials is finally mature for 7 unless you want more hands on control. Be very careful what you click, there is alot of BS on the internet. Don't open random attachments until you confirm someone sent you something. If it sounds too good to true, or too bad to wait, it's probably a trick. Etc. etc. etc. just be smart,

Solution

Nuclear101

Honorable

Oh, ok, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.