Question Partitioning and Drive Problems

Aug 19, 2022
I'm not familiar with the terminology and vocab so please bare with me as I try to explain the problem.

I installed a new NVME SSD earlier this morning and am having trouble copy the data from my last SSD to the new one.
I found a free drive cloning software (reflect 8 free) and cloned my old SSD to the new one. Not familiar with how this works, I was expecting it to copy all the data to the NVME SSD. However, it instead created a partition and placed that partition (the cloned data from the old SSD) under a different disk. here's an image of my disk manager to illustrate what I mean. "C:" drive (the old SSD) is now under disk 2 and is next to "F:" drive (the new SSD).
"E:" drive seems to be a partition of the F: drive that was created as a result of cloning the data. What I would like to do is combine drives E and F so that I have the full 1.81TB of storage, then copy everything from C drive to the E drive.
I essentially want to completely replace the old SSD with the NVME. My original goal was to copy everything to the NVME then wipe the old SSD and remove it from my computer. But I've seemed to complicate things.
here's a list of my hardware if needed.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
well what you need to is select the drive you want to clone each drive has a name, then there is a check box then select the drive you want to clone, after choosing, below it directly a button called clone this disk and it will open cloning menu then select the target drive where it is written and then after some simple checkboxes and then clone if you still struggle watch YouTube video, macruim reflect is one of best app to clone those stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022
well what you need to is select the drive you want to clone each drive has a name, then there is a check box then select the drive you want to clone, after choosing, below it directly a button called clone this disk and it will open cloning menu then select the target drive where it is written and then after some simple checkboxes and then clone if you still struggle watch YouTube video, macruim reflect is one of best app to clone those stuff
Macrium did an excellent job in cloning the disk. The problem is it created a partition to store the cloned data. Which I further complicated by my own lack of knowledge. I would like to restore all the disks to their original forms before I cloned them. Then clone drive C to F without partitioning the clone.

Last edited:
Not sure what you did, but....

Macrium is generally a good tool.

A successful clone should transfer ALL repeat ALL partitions from the old drive to the new.

Your picture shows 3 totally separate drives...disk 0, 1, and 2.

C partition is on disk 2; it is virtually full.

E partition is on disk 1; it is virtually empty.

F partition is on disk 2; it is virtually empty.

Superficially, it appears that disk 2 was your intended destination...that is where the new C landed.

Not sure what your old drive looked like in Disk Management.

I can only assume you did not clone correctly if all partitions did not end up on the new 2 TB disk 2.

If your old drive is still intact and as it originally was, you could re-clone or use Macrium imaging instead of cloning.

Aug 19, 2022
Not sure what you did, but....

Macrium is generally a good tool.

A successful clone should transfer ALL repeat ALL partitions from the old drive to the new.

Your picture shows 3 totally separate drives...disk 0, 1, and 2.

C partition is on disk 2; it is virtually full.

E partition is on disk 1; it is virtually empty.

F partition is on disk 2; it is virtually empty.

Superficially, it appears that disk 2 was your intended destination...that is where the new C landed.

Not sure what your old drive looked like in Disk Management.

I can only assume you did not clone correctly if all partitions did not end up on the new 2 TB disk 2.
Yea I'm not entirely sure what I did either. I'm not sure how C drive ended up in Disk 2. C drive is expected to be full and F is expected to be empty. Along with E since its a partition of F. I need for drives C and E to switch places so I could extend the partitions and make them one.
This is how Disk manager look prior to this incident:
Disk 1: (D) HDD as is right now
Disk 1: (C) (virtually full)
Disk 2: (E) the new and empty NVME
I had no partitions prior to Macrium.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
Macrium did an excellent job in cloning the disk. The problem is it created a partition to store the cloned data. Which I further complicated by my own lack of knowledge. I would like to restore all the disks to their original forms before I cloned them. Then clone the C drive to the E without partitioning the clone.
this may sound lazy of me because I do not remember exactly what step to do because you require a command prompt, and plus IDK what you mess with, still, new drive can return to normal, and idk what did you do with the old drive. I have 3 drives on my if you want I can screenshot from the same app since it is installed and compare it to you

Last edited:
Yea I'm not entirely sure what I did either. I'm not sure how C drive ended up in Disk 2. C drive is expected to be full and F is expected to be empty. Along with E since its a partition of F. I need for drives C and E to switch places so I could extend the partitions and make them one.
This is how Disk manager look prior to this incident:
Disk 1: (D) HDD as is right now
Disk 1: (C) (virtually full)
Disk 2: (E) the new and empty NVME
I had no partitions prior to Macrium.

Is your old pre-clone drive still intact, working, and able to boot your PC when it is the ONLY drive connected?

Find out pronto.

If yes, I'd start over after getting proper instruction.

If no, say so.

F

Aug 19, 2022
Is your old pre-clone drive still intact, working, and able to boot your PC when it is the ONLY drive connected?

Find out pronto.

If yes, I'd start over after getting proper instruction.

If no, say so.

F
Yes the C drive is still functioning as it should. I've rebooted a few times since this ordeal began and everything appears the same. all my files and downloads that were on C drive are still there. Here's a snip of File Explorer.
I'd like to start over but don't know how.

Yes the C drive is still functioning as it should. I've rebooted a few times since this ordeal began and everything appears the same. all my files and downloads that were on C drive are still there. Here's a snip of File Explorer.
I'd like to start over but don't know how.
You have to delete partition F:
Then delete 520MB recovery partition.
Then extend partition C:

Disk Management will not allow deleting 520MB recovery partition.
Use Minitool Partition Wizard free for that instead (or it can also be done with diskpart).

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I'm assuming Disk 2 is your new Samsung 980 Pro 2TB.
Disk 1 is old Samsung 870 Evo 250GB.
And Disk 0 is Seagate Barracuda 2TB.

Offhand....

It looks like the clone worked.

Your original drive had a C partition of about 232 gb and was nearly full.

That was transferred to your new big drive.

Your old C partition was nearly full. Your new C partition is also nearly full, as it should be.

Your first post says "I was expecting it to copy all the data to the NVME SSD."

What was NOT transferred? It looks to me like ALL of the original drive was copied to the new drive.

What exactly did not happen? What "data" was not transferred?

Aug 19, 2022
You have to delete partition F:
Then delete 520MB recovery partition.
Then extend partition C:

Disk Management will not allow deleting 520MB recovery partition.
Use Minitool Partition Wizard free for that instead (or it can also be done with diskpart).

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I'm assuming Disk 2 is your new Samsung 980 Pro 2TB.
Disk 1 is old Samsung 870 Evo 250GB.
And Disk 0 is Seagate Barracuda 2TB.
I've deleted partition F and the recovery partition, and extended Partition C. here's what it looks like now.
I'm not sure, but something doesnt seem right. Why is Partition E active and primary, while C seems to have vanished. Also, isn't the recovery partition important? Is there a way to create another? I feel like I'm digging myself into a deeper hole.
Screen cap from partition wizard here

I've deleted partition F and the recovery partition, and extended Partition C. here's what it looks like now.
I'm not sure, but something doesnt seem right. Why is Partition E active and primary, while C seems to have vanished. Also, isn't the recovery partition important? Is there a way to create another? I feel like I'm digging myself into a deeper hole.
Screen cap from partition wizard here
Press F5 to refresh Disk Management window.
Partition Wizard screenshot looks fine.

Reactions: itach1uch1ha