Partitioning and operating systems

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Ok so i was thinking about trying out windows 8 but did not want to take off windows 7 in case i did not like it. I was wondering if i split my HD into two partitions if i could install windows 8 on the other and set it to primary? would i run into any problems doing this?

I do it on very build ..... Here's a real easy way:

1. Buy Windows 8 and a SSD.
2. Unplug the HD data cable and install the SSD connecting the data cable to SATA 0 port.
3. Install Win8 to the SSD, run Windows Update the 20 or so times it needs to get everything up to date.
4. Shut down and reconnect HD cable to SATA 1

Now when ya boot, you should default to Windows 8 .... if not go into BIOS and change boot order. Anytime ya wanna boot to Win 7, just change the boot order.

Crackadamus

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Assuming both OS's are installed to primary partitions I'd assume you'd get a dual-boot dialogue like other versions of Windows?

I have no experience with Win8 at the moment though so that's simply an assumption on my part.

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

That is kind of how i felt too, i just was wondering if anyone has had success trying it.

bookwormzsh

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I installed a dual boot on one drive with Windows 7 as main and Windows 8 as secondary. It was uninstalled the next day. Trust me, Windows 8 isn't really worth the trouble. I would suggest trying Linux or another OS. I might be looking at that soon.

samucaninja

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
yes: when you are installing windows, the installation process will detect a windows installed and you ask you what you want to do: format, upgrade or new installation, where you will need to tell the name of the folder where you want to install - for example: win8trial; then after copying files the installation process will reboot your system and you will see to lines on start up: your actual windows 7 installation and the new one you are installing. If you want to delete the windows 8 installation - if you don`t like it - just delete the installation folder you created.

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

ok, i think i get what you are saying, so i would partition my harddrive then create a 8trial folder on the second partition to install to?