Partitioning Dilemma

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Win2k machine and a Maxtor 45gig ATA100 hard drive. I am ready to venture into Linux and need/want a separate partition for it from Win2k. I was thinking 15 gig for linux 30 gig for Windoze.
My question is: is there any way to ensure that the 30 gig partition is closer to the outside of the hard drive so i get better performance on my main OS? What is the best way to partition, fdisk? Win2k boot cd? Thanks for any helpful replies.

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

G

Try Partition Magic. Top quality program for all your partitioning needs. :) And no, I don't work there.

Leo

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is there any FREE solution to partitioning? i really dont wanna pay a lot of money for a progam i will use once or twice.

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, if you're using Mandrake 8.0 (which is awesome by the way), just boot from the Mandrake cd and start the install. It'll ask you how to partition your drive with an easy graphical interface (you'll see what I mean). Here's how I do it:

1. Make a 10 gig FAT32 partition at the start of the drive. This will be C:\ for windows and programs. It'll be the fastest part of the hard drive.

2. Make a 5 gig FAT32 (yes FAT32, trust me. you'll switch it to ext2 later) partiton next. This will be your / in linux and is where you should install linux. You won't need that much space as the linux install is a max 2 gigs, but linux can read/write to DOS partitons so you can keep any linux downloads/rpms/whatever in your DOS partitons and then move them to your linux partition as necessary.

3. Make a 250 meg FAT32 partition after that which will be reformatted to your linux swap partition later.

4. Use up the rest of the drive as a FAT32 partiton. This will be D:\ and you should keep any mp3s/movies/downloads/other data files here. This is just in case you mess up windows and have to reinstall it. This way you won't lose all your data for a windows reinstall.

5. Finalize these settings, and ignore any messages saying you don't have an ext2 partition. Let the partition table be written and then exit the install right there.

6. Reboot with the windows cd. Install windows to C:\

7. Reboot with the linux cd. When the partiton utility comes up again, reformat the 5 gig partiton to ext2, and the 250 meg partiton to swap. Continue to install linux.

You should now have something like this:

---C:\(fat32)---|--/(ext2)--|-swap-|------------D:\(fat32)----------|

That's probably the easiest way to do it.
Good luck.

Another computer wanted. Donations accepted. :^)

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sweet man thanks a ton!

oh yea and since i do have a 45 gig drive, i was thinking of adding some space to all the sizes you said (15gig win c:, 10gig linux, 500meg swap, approx. 20gig left for d:)

will a 500meg swap do anything more for me or will it actually hurt me?

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheAntipop on 05/04/01 06:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

>>500meg swap<<

It won't hurt

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you're just starting out on Linux, heck I wouldn't bother with more than 4gig root, 500 swap, and 1gig home. The full install of Mandrake 8.0 runs right around 2.6gig.