Xtian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to do
that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software that I
can use?

Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to format
and repartition, but you would lose all your data.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
> that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to
> do
> that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software
> that I
> can use?

I have never understood the value of partitioning a disk, at least unless you
had only one physical hard drive. Personally, I use my internal hard drive
to store all my programs and data, and I back up my data and other important
files (e.g. downloaded programs) on a separate external USB hard drive. The
cost of such a drive is not too much more than the retail price for Partition
Magic, and you have the added advantage of being able to take it with you
wherever you go.

"xtian" wrote:

> I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
> that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to do
> that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software that I
> can use?

When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include installed
programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing a
System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more Q, Can
you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for sharing.

"0spam" wrote:

> Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
> The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to format
> and repartition, but you would lose all your data.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
> > that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to
> > do
> > that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software
> > that I
> > can use?

Partitioning seems to be along the lines of whether toilet tissue should go
over the top of the roll or come out from under it.

Unless you're installing another operating system, no one needs to partition
their hard disk. It's only a matter of convenience.

Unfortunately, there are some who feel that it makes their computer run
better.

Modem Ani

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Unfortunately, there are some who feel that [partitioning] makes their computer
> run better.

I'm not sure why. I'm not aware of any actual evidence that supports this
claim, at least on NTFS file systems. Partitioning for performance gains
made more sense back in the old FAT days, when bigger hard drives meant
larger cluster sizes and resulting inefficiencies and wasted disk space.

Ken

"All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
permanently erased.

Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.

You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want to
do.

Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from the
questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of reading
about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.

Modem Ani

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
> permanently erased.
>
> Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
>
> You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want to
> do.
>
> Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
> procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from the
> questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
> attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of reading
> about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
> well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include installed
> > programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing a
> > System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more Q,
> Can
> > you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for
> sharing.
> >
> > "0spam" wrote:
> >
> > > Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
> > > The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to
> format
> > > and repartition, but you would lose all your data.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Peter.
> > > Toronto, Canada.
> > > Windows XP Home SP2.
> > > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> > > "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> heard

Having seen your replies regarding partitioning I would be grateful or yor
advice. I have just reformatted my HDD and reloaded XP. I partioned the 80GB
into two partitions each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remaining 40GB,
which is now unusable.
Have tried to partition via disk management and error msg tells me it will
not partition. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thank you

PS Ignore the careless first send!
"Modem Ani" wrote:

> "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
> permanently erased.
>
> Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
>
> You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want to
> do.
>
> Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
> procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from the
> questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
> attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of reading
> about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
> well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include installed
> > programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing a
> > System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more Q,
> Can
> > you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for
> sharing.
> >
> > "0spam" wrote:
> >
> > > Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
> > > The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to
> format
> > > and repartition, but you would lose all your data.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Peter.
> > > Toronto, Canada.
> > > Windows XP Home SP2.
> > > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> > > "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> heard

The remaining 40 GB on your disk is very usable - it just needs to be
partitioned. Having performed a clean install of XP, you have already
formatted your hard disk. However, only 40 GB of your disk has been
partitioned. To partition the balance of your hard disk, use the Disk
Management snap-in.

To access the Disk Management snap-in, type diskmgmt.msc into the Start -
Run box and click OK. (You need to be logged into an account with
Administrator privileges.) The Help and Support Center has all the
instructions you need to get the job done.

You may want to read about the different types of partition - primary,
extended and logical - since you'll have to choose what type of partition or
partitions you want to create.

Modem Ani

"Moffer" <Moffer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having seen your replies regarding partitioning I would be grateful or yor
> advice. I have just reformatted my HDD and reloaded XP. I partioned the
80GB
> into two partitions each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remaining
40GB,
> which is now unusable.
> Have tried to partition via disk management and error msg tells me it will
> not partition. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
>
> Thank you
>
> PS Ignore the careless first send!
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
> > "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
> > permanently erased.
> >
> > Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
> >
> > You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want
> > do.
> >
> > Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
> > procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from
the
> > questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
> > attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of
reading
> > about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
> > well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include
installed
> > > programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing
> > > System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more
Q,
> > Can
> > > you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for
> > sharing.

> > format

> > heard

Thanks for that - have already tried disk management and get error msg - the
disk configuration operation did not complete. Check the system event log for
more information on error. Verify the status of storage devices before
retrying ............
This doesn't help matters as the system event log is not very forthcoming.
Am I missing a trick or is a simple task becoming a nightmare?