Partitioning in Regards to ReadyBoost

Ajwork

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Community,

Before I begin, I'd like to make one thing explicitly clear: this question is going to ask if it's possible to do a particularly frivolous, if not expensive project, in theory. I do not want to see answers that read "Oh, that wouldn't make a difference even if it worked," or, "that's dumb, just leave it alone." I really, really, really hate answers that, rather than answer the question, simply give the OP a thoughtlessly written, if not arrogantly toned, statement declaring why they feel that the project doesn't deserve a proper answer, but rather a (financially) biased opinion. I'm well aware that all gains, if any, will be minimal at best, and just want to know if it will work, not if it's practical. Now, with that out of the way...

I've recently grown interested in Microsoft's ReadyBoost for Windows 7; from what I understand in the Wikipedia article discussing ReadyBoost in all its forms, the Windows 7 version can support up to 8 devices ranging from 256mb to 32gb each (for a possible maximum of 256gb in an array similar to a RAID 0 set-up). I'd like to try reaching this maximum, but my laptop only has three (3) USB ports and a single SD card slot.

So here's my plan to reach that limit, as wanton as it is: grabbing a single 256gb SD card and partitioning it into 8 separate drives.

And here's my question: Will Windows ReadyBoost recognize each partition as a separate device? And if it does, will it be able to use all eight partitions simultaneously? And, if it can, how would the Read/Write speed of each partition be affected if the device were a Class 10 card?

As mentioned ablove, I'm fully aware of the impracticality of implementing this wanton amount of cache into my already speedy system; I'd just like to know, in theory, could this work and work well?

And for those of you even remotely interested in my laptop's baseline specifications, here they are:
HP 4-1030us
i5-3317u @ 1.7ghz (2.6ghz w/ Turbo Boost)
2x4gb Corsair RAM (1600mhz, 9-9-9-24, Dual-Channel) (self-upgrade)
500gb Hitachi 5400 RPM drive w/ 32gb mSata chip (RAID 0)
Intel HD 4000 Graphics (350mhz idle, 1050mhz w/ Turbo Boost)

Regards,
A.J.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
If you really want to mess with ready boost you would get something alot faster than an SD card. You would get the fastest USB 3.0 flash drive you could find. And a lot of people know that is the Super Talent Express RC8 which I actually have. Just this week I am getting another one and putting the 2 in RAID 0 which in theory should give me 380mb/s Read/Write speeds with 40/70mb/s 4k ready/writes which is what matters. SD cards have pretty crappy 4k read/write speeds so your defeating the purpose of using ready boost. This will make you system slower. And by the way you have good-great RAM. So do I, I have Corsair 1866 sodimm. But like I said if you really hard on messing with ready boost which you shouldn't be since you got corsair RAM you should get at least 1 Super Talent Express RC8 to handle that. It has the BEST 4k read/writes of any flash drive or memory card and .30 read/write access times. So there you go, theres your solution. They are 84.99 at Walmart. What you think?

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Also according to wiki the device you use must have 2.5mb/s read times at 4k and I do not even think an SD card has that. You should check the specs on your device before you do this. Also it says if you use ready boost on a system with 512mb ram it will increase the speed from 11 seconds to 2 seconds but if you increase that system with 512mb ram to 1Gb ram it increases to .8 seconds. So basically it is pointless because you have 8 GIGABYTES of RAM. But I still think if you use a device as fast as the Express RC8 you could STILL see some performance gain. So all of this I said here is facts besides what I said about the RC8. You got a good computer it is interesting to fiddle with though Ill give you that.