Partitions during XP install

Hi all!

I am hoping you can help! I have recently just installed XP Pro SP2 on
my P4 2.4 GHz machine. My pc was previously partitioned running Win 98
into to 2 partions, one of 15GB (C:) and the other of the rest of my
80GB hard drive (D:). I went for a total fresh install and must have
gone wrong somewhere when it asked my where I wanted to install XP
because I can now only see one drive (C:) with a size of 15GB. I tried
to delete the old partition during the install and suspect this is
where I went wrong. I am generally fairly competent with pcs but I
have never done a total operating system install before! All of my
data is backed up, so please suggest anything, I don't need any of
the data that was on the old D drive, just to get the space back.

My question is straight forward, is there anyway of rectifying this
without going back to square one and starting all over again, and if I
do have to start again with a total re-install again, does anyone have
any tips to avoid making the same mistake again!

Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks in advance!

Fraggle

Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.. in the window that opens,
look under the subheading 'storage' and click on 'disk management'.. from
here, you can re-format the 'free' space over and above your 15gb primary
partition..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

On 22 Aug 2005 06:19:03 -0700, "Fraggle257" <fraggle257@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am hoping you can help! I have recently just installed XP Pro SP2 on
> my P4 2.4 GHz machine. My pc was previously partitioned running Win 98
> into to 2 partions, one of 15GB (C:) and the other of the rest of my
> 80GB hard drive (D:). I went for a total fresh install and must have
> gone wrong somewhere when it asked my where I wanted to install XP
> because I can now only see one drive (C:) with a size of 15GB. I tried
> to delete the old partition during the install and suspect this is
> where I went wrong. I am generally fairly competent with pcs but I
> have never done a total operating system install before! All of my
> data is backed up, so please suggest anything, I don't need any of
> the data that was on the old D drive, just to get the space back.
>
> My question is straight forward, is there anyway of rectifying this
> without going back to square one and starting all over again, and if I
> do have to start again with a total re-install again, does anyone have
> any tips to avoid making the same mistake again!
>
> Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks in advance!
>
> Fraggle

Sounds like you deleted the larger partition during the installation
of XP. Any data on it could become unrecoverable if you reformat it
now. There are software tools or Data Recovery services which can
recover some or all of the data on a deleted partition. These tools
or services are usually expensive, however.

You, however, are not concerned with saving any data on it.
Unless you partially (or completely) repartition your physical HD
AGAIN, XP will only show the formatted partitions in Windows Explorer
or My Computer.

It appears that what you really wanted to do is delete the partition
which contained Windows 98 ("C:"), repartition and format it as NTFS,
and install XP "clean" on that partition.

There are two ways you can restore the free, unpartitioned space on
your HD without starting over: create one or more NEW partitions in
that space using either XP's Administrative tools, or a third-party
disk management tool such as Partition Magic 8.x (PM 7 and below
cannot properly handle XP's implementation of NTFS {now 5.1 instead of
5.0}).

Your second choice is to use a thire-party partitioning utility to
non-destructively EXTEND your 15gig partition so that it fills ALL HD
space. After this operation, you will have ONE partition of approx.
80gig, with the OS still safely installed.

NOTE that you CANNOT use a Windows 98 startup floppy to repartition
and format your HD as NTFS, since the "fdisk" and "format" programs
distributed with Windows 98 can only create and format a partition as
either FAT or FAT32. If you want the partition formatted as NTFS, you
MUST either start the XP installation after booting using the XP
install disk, or use Disk Management after you install XP or a
third-party partitioning utility which can handle NTFS 5.1.

NOTE that ANY Microsoft-supplied software for partitioning the HD will
NOT non-destructively repartition or resize partitions. PM 8 WILL
(about $69).

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

Thank you all for your help. What I did in the end, and found the
easiest, was what Mike Hall suggested:

"Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.. in the window that
opens,
look under the subheading 'storage' and click on 'disk management'..
from
here, you can re-format the 'free' space over and above your 15gb
primary
partition.. "

This means I still have the space, which was my only concern, don't
mind the partition and although in a perfect world I would have moved
some more of the space out of C and into D, I don't see that it is
worth the time or effort!

Thanks for all your help!

Fraggle

You're welcome

--

> Thank you all for your help. What I did in the end, and found the
> easiest, was what Mike Hall suggested:
>
> "Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.. in the window that
> opens,
> look under the subheading 'storage' and click on 'disk management'..
> from
> here, you can re-format the 'free' space over and above your 15gb
> primary
> partition.. "
>
> This means I still have the space, which was my only concern, don't
> mind the partition and although in a perfect world I would have moved
> some more of the space out of C and into D, I don't see that it is
> worth the time or effort!
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> Fraggle

Fraggle

Instead of installing all programs to C, you can install to D instead.. it
makes no difference to Windows..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Fraggle257" <fraggle257@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thank you all for your help. What I did in the end, and found the
> easiest, was what Mike Hall suggested:
>
> "Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.. in the window that
> opens,
> look under the subheading 'storage' and click on 'disk management'..
> from
> here, you can re-format the 'free' space over and above your 15gb
> primary
> partition.. "
>
> This means I still have the space, which was my only concern, don't
> mind the partition and although in a perfect world I would have moved
> some more of the space out of C and into D, I don't see that it is
> worth the time or effort!
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> Fraggle

You can still re-size your partitions, but that's a task for 3rd pty progs,
like Symantec (Ex-PQ) PartitionManger, BootItNG and the like, not with XP
native tools

--
Tumppi
Reply to group