Partitions either RAW or NTFS

BladeKenter

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello! I have an ASUS ROG laptop bought 6 month ago with a 1TB hard disk. I have 4 primary partitions on it (system reserved, C: (~200gb windows 8.1 x64), D: (~700gb the actual data) and E: (~13gb not so important).
Today my laptop was moving very slow and the cursor was frozen. Did a forced restart, the laptop booted up, again the cursor froze after one minute. Again I forced the shut down using the power button and when I powered it back on, after the splash screen there was a black screen. No win8 logo, nothing. Carefully, I removed the hard drive and connected it to my computer but there are some strange details:
First of all in my computer I can only see the "system reserved" partition witch is about 300mb (accessible, i can click on it, etc). The remaining 3 partitions are in my computer too but I can't see the "space left bar" like normal. When I click on them the loading cursor appears and says "<drive letter> is not accessible".
I opened the Disk Management and I see the partitions are RAW:
FNpxZXG.png
(F, I and H are C, D and E on my laptop).
However in a partition recovery software I CAN see my files in the 200gb partition and 700gb partition if I quick scan it but not in the 13gb. (I can see them arranged like in windows explorer). I clicked recover and I get asked if "i want to format the partition". I DID NOT format it as I read that it's not a solution right now.
Ok, I tried another recovery software and it says that system reserved, C:\ and D:\ are NTFS and only that 13gb partition is RAW.
Finally, I got easeus data recovery and attempted to recover a photo from the list of files "sorted by type in different folders" and it's all right. The files are accessible that way.
I have important projects in that 700gb partition for my future (i just finished school) and this problem was really unexpected. What can I do now? I want to recover my files in the original tree arrangement (like the original folders name and such)
Thanks in advance. Every time I usually search and solve all the problems (majority of solutions being from this forum) but this time I don't know what to do anymore. It's 4:20am here and I'm really tired.

Woohoopy

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Oh yeah this is quite an involved process (for me at least).

It happened to my USB stick that reverted to "Raw" despite having loads of data on it.

The software I used to recover 100% of my data was called "ZARx".

I was able to recover all of my 8gbs of files, but the process was super tedious, because the free demo of "ZARx" only lets you transfer 3 folders at a time. I couldn't imagine doing it for a terabyte.

I do know that if you pay, on the other hand, its a simple transfer and done.

Good luck, try to see if you have some other options first, but this one is a fail-proof plan B.

Link: http://www.z-a-recovery.com/'

Source: Tried around 5 different data recovery programs, this is the only one that even remotely worked, and actually worked really well.

BladeKenter

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
ZAR is stuck at "enumerating devices" since half an hour ago.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd really appreciate more so I can try more things as I'm running out of ideas after a sleepless night. Thank you so much!

BladeKenter

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
I tried testdisk and with "quick" mode it can only see a folder with photos. I copied that on another drive but with the "long scan" it took 10hours and reached sector 300 out of something like 100 000. It would take years to complete.

Hello... 1) What is the stated condition of your " boot sector"?
Sometimes you need to pick and choose/decide what is important and not important here and go Recover these items directly... Losing DATA and Drives etc... will/can cause personal DATA lose and those files important to you, you need a diligent system/method of other Media backups.

BladeKenter

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Ok so Active Partition Recovery seems to work, but there are some problems.. with different versions. Version number 8 works good, I can see my files being there, the partition is listed as [Excellent] but when I click recover and assign a different drive letter, nothing happens.
I downloaded the newest version (15) and it's stuck in the beginning at "searching drive list" or whatever.. forever
I downloaded the 14 version, same stuff
I'm now at version 10 and when I "super scan" the partition, it's stuck at 51% when it's about to show me the files.. forever stuck, even if I cancel it it won't go. The other partition (where I had windows 8) is stuck at 21% when I want to see the files. Oh my god, I'm having like the only bugs that can happen, to me. I haven't slept for 48 hours and I really need to recover my youtube projects. I really don't know what to try anymore..
@Ironsounds how can I see the condition of that sector?

BladeKenter

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
I found that I needed to wait more in "Active File Recovery" for the software to "quick scan" all my data from that partition. I recovered a big part from it (exactly what I needed). And then I recovered some things from C:\ too. It all went good, files are ok, I will search for a software to "check" my files (photos, audio, video) to be all ok and not corrupted.
Anyway, I contacted ASUS via email about the HDD and they should reply to me in 48 hours. Till then, is it ok if I wipe all the data from the damaged disk using a bootable cd (darik's boot and nuke) ? In the terms it says "the customed may save all his confidential data before sending the product in warranty service", so it's the same, I think. I sent them this screenshot: https://s19.postimg.org/huqshc2qr/status_hardd.png
And I hope they will realise that there is a problem with it. Also I heard some (clink-clink) sounds seconds before everything froze on the screen. I never dropped the laptop or something. It's 9 months old and I really took care of it.
Thank you for all the answers :) looking forward to solve this in the end.