[SOLVED] Partitions on new Alienware desktop

jehaslam

Reputable
Jul 5, 2018
Hi. I just bought a new Alienware R13 desktop with a 1 tb ssd.

The partitions on C are as follows:

200MB - EFI system partition
936.14GB - NTFS
900MB - Recovery partition
15.05GB - Recovery partition
1.37GB - Recovery partition
15MB - unallocated

Do I really need all this stuff? Which partitions do you think I can add extend the NTFS partition into?
Are some of them backups that I can remove?
If ever I need to reinstall windows I would just use an ISO and software from the Dell website

Solution

936.14GB - NTFS
15MB - unallocated

Do I really need all this stuff? Which partitions do you think I can add extend the NTFS partition into?
If ever I need to reinstall windows I would just use an ISO and software from the Dell website
C: is a letter for a partition, not whole physical drive. I suppose that "936.14GB - NTFS" is it, the C: partition.
200MB - EFI system partition you definitely need for booting.
C partition is where Windows reside, leave alone.
900MB -...
Is there anything on any of the partitions on this new PC that you care about........other than Windows itself?

A clean install would get rid of all of it, but you wouldn't be able to restore to factory status. You might not care about that at all.

Not sure if wiping everything for a clean install would affect a warranty or return claim against Dell. They might frown at your changes. I haven't heard about that issue in many years.

936.14GB - NTFS
15MB - unallocated

C: is a letter for a partition, not whole physical drive. I suppose that "936.14GB - NTFS" is it, the C: partition.
200MB - EFI system partition you definitely need for booting.
C partition is where Windows reside, leave alone.
900MB - Recovery partition is most probably Windows recovery, you can do without it but there are ramifications for windows (backups and repair) so should be left alone Windows will make another one after large update anyway.
Judging by size, 15.05GB - Recovery partition must be a partition Dell made to house full backup of initial windows setup including drivers and accessories so you can revert to it in case of bad problems or if you are selling PC. If you don't plan on dong that, you can remove it. I would leave it there until you are sure everything is running fine and/or you start running out of space on C:.
1.37GB - Recovery partition might also be part of same plan.
15MB - unallocated should hold Windows BOOT files. don't touch it.

Solution