Question Partly blocked GPU ports

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
So I finished my PC build and one of the issues, (maybe an issue I don't know). Is that the GPU ports are somewhat obstructed by the case as you can see in the link below. Where the rubber case of the connector hits the metal and prevents it from 100% going in

View: https://imgur.com/CyuvAhW

Now when I connect my displays, they work no issue. The connection goes in maybe 85% ~ 90% of the way in before getting blocked by the metal, but it doesn't fully click in. IE the displayport has a lock usually, but that doesn't lock in, yet the monitor works as long as I don't touch the display cable.

So now my question since my PC works as is with the display, is there an issue with leaving it as is, or will it cause issues down the line with connectors not being 100% in? Or should I take a hacksaw to my case and notch the metal so that I can fully insert the cables? Honestly I'd rather leave it as is if it won't cause future issues, since I don't move my PC when it's on anyway. Just want to know if it'd cause troubles or shorts or something.

Before it's suggested, I have tried unscrewing the GPU and pushing it down so the port would go in fully, but it's just too high. To get it to the point where I can connect them fully, I'd need to torque the GPU and PCI lane uncomfortably hard, and even then I just wouldn't be able to reinsert the screws the GPU holes would not be aligned to the case holes anymore.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
if should be a satndard fit that normally shouldnt happen if the case is good and the motherboard and gpu is properely aligned , i dont think it would cause you any troubles since the signal works though

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
No hacksaws!

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include case information and add a couple more internal and external photographs.

Something is greatly astray.

That sounds like a lot of work. Here I'll go with the info I feel is relevant here. The case is a 750D corsair airflow edition, the GPU is a 2080ti rog strix OC, and the mobo is an Asus WS pro.

The motherboard is well aligned on all the proper standoffs, and the GPU properly aligned where it should be. Don't worry I won't hacksaw it, I'd probably tin snip if anything.

But after talking to a bit of people and some with the same experience as me, I think I'll just leave it as is. If it ain't "broke" don't fix it as they say. Things are running smoothly right now, if the display starts not working, I'll consider other options. But thank you for wanting to help though!

if should be a satndard fit that normally shouldnt happen if the case is good and the motherboard and gpu is properely aligned , i dont think it would cause you any troubles since the signal works though

Yeah I thought so too, the verdict seems that there should be troubles since the signal work properly anyway, just bit weird of an issue, but not one that I think I need to worry about. Like I said above, I'll stay as is and if the signal gets lost in the future, I'll consider maybe a tin snip or something ha.

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
I suggest posting a few more internal and external photographs.

Mainly to get a sense of the "big picture" and look for potential problems - air flows for example.

I don't think airflow is an issue or that there are any other problems. I've benchmarked, always do when I build a new PC. My CPU hits 74c on 100% load, and my hottest GPU hits 77c on 100% load. For an air cooled SLI build, I think that's pretty good! Yes I SLI, yes I know it's not cost efficient and not all titles can be made to work with SLI, but I like it that way anyway.

I don't think there's any other potential problems (not that this was even a problem, more of a weird issue that doesn't really affect anything from the consensus of my research/asking around various tech forums), this isn't my first PC build I'm not totally new at this, and like I said if it ain't broke don't fix it. Too lazy to take more internal and external pictures since I'm pretty intent with leaving it as is for now. I do appreciate all the replies though! :)

Last edited: