[SOLVED] Parts/Component assistance - Gaming pc build advice (Gaming and Editing)

Apr 17, 2019
I'm currently building a pc for semi-hard gaming (Mediocre-High settings, games within last 5-8 years.) and photo editing. My current list:
board-printed-circuit-board-computer-electronics-163125.jpeg

• AMD - Ryzen 3 2200g
  • Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666
  • Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4 GB
  • Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower
  • Rosewill - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Cooler Master - SickleFlow 69.69 CFM 120mm Fan
I have a budget of $520 (Preferably $480 if possible.) It currently costs about $440-ish. By the way, the Ryzen comes with a cpu cooler. Thanks for any feedback! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gkZNMZ

Last edited:
Solution
Three main problem points (and hard to get to $480, the $40 does not go to waste). You really need a b450 motherboard because older motherboards generally need a BIOS update to run that CPU and unless you have another method of getting it to work out of the box, you should skip that. Second problem is the RAM, you want dual channel, not a single stick and Ryzen begs for fast RAM in a way the Intel CPUs don't - need to target DDR-3000 RAM to get the most out of a Ryzen build. And the power supply; the budget Rosewills aren't garbage, but they also aren't very good quality. The Corsair CXMs (450, 550) are the ones you want to target on a budget).

I guess one more point is to be realistic. It's a very good budget rig, but when you talk...

DSzymborski

Titan
Three main problem points (and hard to get to $480, the $40 does not go to waste). You really need a b450 motherboard because older motherboards generally need a BIOS update to run that CPU and unless you have another method of getting it to work out of the box, you should skip that. Second problem is the RAM, you want dual channel, not a single stick and Ryzen begs for fast RAM in a way the Intel CPUs don't - need to target DDR-3000 RAM to get the most out of a Ryzen build. And the power supply; the budget Rosewills aren't garbage, but they also aren't very good quality. The Corsair CXMs (450, 550) are the ones you want to target on a budget).

I guess one more point is to be realistic. It's a very good budget rig, but when you talk about "heavy-ish gaming," I'm worried that you have the idea you'll be running 1080p on ultra on all new games or something. You'll be much happier with any build you make when your expectations are in line what what the results are going to be.

Solution
Apr 17, 2019

I guess one more point is to be realistic. It's a very good budget rig, but when you talk about "heavy-ish gaming," I'm worried that you have the idea you'll be running 1080p on ultra on all new games or something. You'll be much happier with any build you make when your expectations are in line what what the results are going to be.
Thanks for the part recommendations, especially from a Moderator. I could see how you would think that, but I won't play that intensive. Probably medium settings, and games released within the last 5 years. Maybe I should've phrased it better. Here's the revised parts, a bit above budget, but not a death sentence.
  • Rosewill - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply replaced with Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Replaced with Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard Replaced with Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the part recommendations, especially from a Moderator. I could see how you would think that, but I won't play that intensive. Probably medium settings, and games released within the last 5 years. Maybe I should've phrased it better. Here's the revised parts, a bit above budget, but not a death sentence.
  • Rosewill - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply replaced with Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Replaced with Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard Replaced with Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Good choices! Just wanted to make sure you didn't have too-high expectations.