Question "Parts from those cargo ships that were off California coast are heat-damaged" ?

The Worker

Commendable
May 21, 2020
A salesperson at a local PC parts store told me that the parts that were on the cargo ships that were delayed off the coast of California, a while back, are heat-damaged. He said that there were more parts malfunctioning sooner from that shipment. Is this something anyone else has noticed? Also, is Newegg still a decent online parts provider? Thank you!

The Worker

Commendable
May 21, 2020
How does he know that the parts are malfunctioning because of heat?
He said there have been more people coming in with PC parts that burnt out earlier than expected, and he is attributing it to the heat from being in the cargo ships, damaging the parts and setting them up to fail early. No idea if this has any truth to it! Something else to worry about when getting parts for a new PC.....?

A salesperson at a local PC parts store told me that the parts that were on the cargo ships that were delayed off the coast of California, a while back, are heat-damaged. He said that there were more parts malfunctioning sooner from that shipment. Is this something anyone else has noticed? Also, is Newegg still a decent online parts provider? Thank you!
What parts? Most of these parts are designed for high heat. Let's say they're in a container sitting in the sun and its 150 degrees Fahrenheit which is what you would experience inside a car parked in the sun. That's only 65 degrees Celsius which is no problem for almost any computer part to handle. The container would have to be painted matte black for temperatures to get really high and the parts are all surrounded by cardboard and plastic and foam which helps insulate them. Reading the messages in this forum if there's any heat related problem causing parts to fail is users who install them in cases without adequate ventilation and cooling. Who are these salespersons anyway?

I've used Newegg for over a decade and I've never had a problem with them. It helps that I live in a location where overnight shipping is routine.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Are there any PC parts at all that could get damaged by anything less than sitting unboxed in direct sunlight on an asphalt road in 50°C weather?
I'm really asking... because otherwise, I can't think of anything that would get hot enough to fail from sitting in the heat... HDDs, maybe? (I don't know what safe temps are for those.) Maybe an unpackaged pre-built with a black metal case in direct sunlight?

It gets up to 45°C where I live, and I store PC parts in my almost-as-hot garage all summer long. Never had a problem from doing this, and never even worried about it.
Salesperson is full of crap.

As for Newegg... I've been hearing horror stories about their customer service for 15 years. I try to shop elsewhere if possible, but when I do, I personally haven't had a problem yet. Their use of mail-in-rebates really sucks, though. Don't be swayed by mail-in-rebates.

Not to mention most shipping containers wouldnt be exposed to direct sunlight anyway given the way they are stacked.
Most of the delayed ships are/were sitting in pretty good conditions as well, offshore weather here in CA is almost perpetually around 68F, so any container not directly exposed to the sun likely wouldnt heat up much above ambient.