[SOLVED] Parts List for Gaming PC/Workstation

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I've been working on this pc for a while now, slowly getting parts as time and money allowed. Most of the import parts (CPU, GPU, etc) have already been purchased; however, before I open anything up, I'd like to get some feed back. The primary purpose of this build is 4k gaming, but I may do things like 3D printing and modeling later down the line. I also realize I may have gone too far in a few places, but I'll justify my decisions below. Any advice and/or criticism is appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpqYBc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.27 CFM 120 mm Fan

So the CPU and cooler are slight overkill for gaming. I wanted the 5600x for mild workstation loads, but I didn't want to spend the money on a 5800x. I'm using an aio just to try out water cooling, having never done so before. It's a 360 because it'll probably look better in the case compared to a 280. The aio will be top mounted, exhaust, pull config (since Arctic Freezer in push won't fit in my case, according to a user on pcpartpicker).

Mobo is an x570 for future proofing, since I may change parts 5-6 years from now. VRMs seems to be decent based on reviews. A B550 could have done the same job, but this was one of the cheaper x570 boards, so I don't feel like I went overboard with this. Asus board used so I can control its rgb via iCue, which is a thing apparently. (btw using iCue to control RAM and maybe light strips as well)

Memory is 32GB because my monkey brain likes high numbers. Also, some R programs I've run have used more than 16GB. (These programs are dealing with remote sensing, if anyone is interested).

Primary 1TB Storage is M.2 PCIE Gen 4 for fast boot speed. 500GB secondary for extra storage. Less cable management using 2 M.2s instead of a 2.5''.

GPU was the only 3080 available to me. Fortunately, I was able to pick one up at Microcenter a few months ago. Since the mobo isn't MSI and I don't like Dragon Center, I'm just putting electric tape over the RGB strip. Either that or I'll use OpenRGB once its compatible with MSI parts.

Case reviewed well from what I can tell. Has good airflow, GPU fits, looks good, etc.

PSU is 850w to give myself some overhead for possible future overclocking.

Fans are just placeholders for now.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
This is fine, everything is balanced fine, personally I'd go for a better CPU since a top tier GPU matched with a low-tier CPU is a little odd but the 5600X is still a champ of a CPU compared to current market options. It'll just age a little quicker since it has fewer cores. I'd also go for higher capacity secondary storage but this is personal though, you obviously have your reasons for having relatively small storage size. In-case your 3d work is important you can put some money into a local NAS backup. Or use google drive.. Whichcver is more convenient.

Overall, looks good. Everything is compatible.
This is fine, everything is balanced fine, personally I'd go for a better CPU since a top tier GPU matched with a low-tier CPU is a little odd but the 5600X is still a champ of a CPU compared to current market options. It'll just age a little quicker since it has fewer cores. I'd also go for higher capacity secondary storage but this is personal though, you obviously have your reasons for having relatively small storage size. In-case your 3d work is important you can put some money into a local NAS backup. Or use google drive.. Whichcver is more convenient.

Overall, looks good. Everything is compatible.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Hey there,

That's a pretty solid build, by all accounts. Very strong in every department. For a multitude of reasons, some of which you mentioned already. Given your requirements for the system it's very fitting. I would argue though about bumping the CPU to a 5800x. Slightly better single core/multicore/gaming scores, and obviously the 2 extra cores and four threads count in terms of 'future proofing' (I hate using that term). Its as fast as anything else in gaming, and really strong in everything else, beating all but the HEDT CPU's.

As you mentioned the cooler is a little bit of overkill for the 5600x, regardless of overclocking, but fit's rather well with the 5800x beast. I think that 8c/16t with the IPC of Ryzen 3rd Gen, are hard to beat for longevity.

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS