Question Parts of Windows 10 stopped working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Sometimes I need to control-ald-delete and run task manager for various things. Now, when I click 'task manager', nothing happens. If I windows+r and type 'taskmgr', also nothing happens. I googled it and it had some things saying to use 'windows+s', that also does nothing. I've power cycled, and it didn't help.

There are some strange delays, like I tried opening Malwarebytes and it hung for a long time and disappeared. When I try to type a program name in the windows taskbar search window, the cursor won't activatge in the box to type anything. The windows start button won't click, either, in fact nothing on the taskbar will click now. (New as I type this post, or I couldn't have opened the browser)). Windows 10 64 bit.

I rebooted again, the task bar is working, but Malwarebytes is frozen again so far, and task manager still won't start. Now when I click Malwarebytes again, instead of coming up with a frozen window, it's not coming up with anything.

And, the taskbar stopped working again as I typed this update... like, I moused over notebad and it said 'notepad' but wouldn't open, now when I mouse over it the cursor changes but it doesn't even say notepad.

Update: Rebooted yet again, this time I started Malwarbytes before opening the browser and it worked, scanned and nothing found, and task manager started. Started the browser for this update, and so far they're both still running. Not sure what else to check.

When I open the browser it behaves a bit differently than normal - it gets a white screen for about 10-15 seconds before displaying the tabs. After opening Edge, I tried to run another scan in Malwarebytes, and this time it's hung... Maybe I'll start closing some of the dozens of browser tabs, in case one is causing a problem.

After some minutes: taskbar not working, malwarebytes still hung, but task manager is still working.

I don't really see anything unexpected in task manager. One other little clue: the clock is no longer displayed on the bottom right taskbar.

Last edited:

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I'm also having problems with Windows taskbar, it becomes unresponsive. That's horrible, because I have a i9 which is incredibly powerful and I have issues in simple Windows tasks, what is wrong with Windows lately...? I'm thinking about doing a fresh install...

Interesting, have you isolated any trigger, the way I've isolated running Edge? Does it happen if you just boot? Any change to the system like my hard power off?

Last edited: