Parts Puzzle: What Mobo Works Well With This Hardware?

phdashing

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
TL;DR: I have the following bits of kit, and am just looking for the input of people more knowledgeable than me for a motherboard that will let everything play nicely with each other:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-950 3.06GHz Quad-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($274.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1185.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-15 22:24 EDT-0400

Full Story: I've had the following tower for approximately 7 years: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229203
It's lived a productive life, but recently been showing signs of hardware failure. After some diagnostics, I traced the problem to the PSU which I then replaced, and everything was working fine for awhile. But new issues starting popping up, I started replacing components one-by-one and... That's how I acquired much of the above list. I was trying to be cheap and only fix what I thought was broken at the time, but I probably would have just been better off buying a new machine when my issues first began, but hindsight is 20/20. But it is fun to have a hobby project though :)

The PSU, video card, and hard drive are brand-new. Despite this, I was getting disk usage spikes of 100% for no discernible reason or process (even with a completely fresh install of Win 10), then eventually BSODs, and now I can't even boot properly ("A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed"). At one point I could still boot by switching to a different SATA port, but even that doesn't work anymore. I've also tested all this with 2 different hard drives, which are working properly on their own. All this seems to indicate a dying mobo.
I use this machine a lot for both work (the ram) and play (the video card). My bonus questions to you, in addition to finding a compatible mother board:

• Should I think about a CPU upgrade as well? The i7-950 has been serving me faithfully up to now, but with the recently upgraded GPU and soon-to-be-upgraded mobo, I don't know if I'm really utilizing what I have.

Should I replace the case too? Aesthetics aren't a big concern for me, but something that can house the GTX and still keep good airflow seem important to me. Things are a bit cramped in the current CoolerMaster case.

Likewise, should I worry about a new cooling system? On a hot day my CPU temps were clocking in around 70 degrees Celsius (and up), with the following fan: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103084

Thank you all in advance for any tips you might have, I appreciate the help before this relatively intensive procedure.

g-unit1111

Titan
If your rig is showing signs of hardware failure, I think it may be beyond saving. The i7-950 is several generations old now and won't keep up with modern games. I would look at getting something like an R7-1700X or an i7-7700K. I would definitely look at a new cooling system as well, which would most likely require a new case. That Cooler Master fan won't cut it either, I would look at getting something much stronger from Cryorig, Phanteks or Noctua.

Intel Core i7-950
Supported memory: DDR3-800, DDR3-1066

Mixing together multiple kits of memory is not recommended and not guaranteed to work.

X58 Chipset is a 2009 era system. Intel Coffee Lake CPUs will be the most interesting part of the Intel 8th Generation Core architecture which will be released before the end of the year, replacing the 7th Gen Kaby Lake processors after less than 12 months. AMD AM4 may also be worthwhile for you.

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435

G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / B350 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&Tpk=N82E16820232530

g-unit1111

Titan

As long as it's literally the exact same kit (same voltages, timing, speed, manufacturer) then it will work. I've done that to multiple systems and have not had a problem.

phdashing

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Thanks fellas, I was fearing a CPU replacement, but it looks like I can't kick the can down the road anymore. Given my video card and ram, any motherboards jump out at you as a good fit? I know an exact answer will depend on whichever cpu I settle on, but I'm just looking for some compatible starting places.

g-unit1111

Titan

Do you own that RAM already? If not I wouldn't bother. If you do - sell it on eBay, it is old RAM now. You want at least DDR4 for a new rig. Any modern CPU you go with - Intel or AMD - will require DDR4. DDR3 isn't fit for new rigs anymore.