Parts that will fit in a Dell Optiplex 745?

Vgamer_1

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
I have a Dell Optiplex 745, but I want to replace most of the parts. I do already have a Geoforce GTX 750 graphics card,so I probably won't need a new graphics card. Also, can the 745 have a hard drive bigger than 250gb?

Solution
The Optiplex 745 MT is one of the few Optipods that can run a C2X chip, and actually overclock it. It has native support for 130W CPUs and good cooling. HDD are dirt cheap now. Obviously the guy's not made out of money or he wouldn't be asking about a 10 year old Dell. The cooler I listed can be had for $10-$15, the big fan about the same. he could start with CPU,RAM and HDD for about $100. He has the GTX750 already and it doesn't require a new PSU to run.
I actually overclocked one of these myself. it went 3.45GHz easily, but I threw in a 2motor fan setup I had lying around at the start so I don't know if it will do that speed or not with a more moderate setup. The E520 will go that speed without serious mods. The 745 Might also...
Here's a shopping list for Dell Optiplex 745. This assumes you have the Mid Tower. If you have the smaller ones it will be much harder. Get the latest BIOS from Dell. Max. CPU QX6800 2.93GHz base. It can be overclocked with Throttlestop software. 3.2GHz without other mods. Heatsinks for the VRM MOSFETs if you overclock. D9729 cooler if you don't already have the heatpipe cooler.
8GB DDR2-800 low density RAM (chips on both sides of he module). There is no particular limit on HDD size. If you get an SSD turn off Auto Defragmenation in System Tools. Most GTX750 will require slight mods to fit, a UEFI card won't work. The easiest card to fit would be a low profile card with single slot full height bracket. A single fan 2 slot bracket card needs the bracket cut in 1/2, and if it's a fully closed cover trim it back 1/2" at the rear. Hot air collects behind the GPU, an expansion slot blower will fix this. Aftermarket PSUs fit.

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

Just build a new PC and sell your old one.

Vgamer_1

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

I want to replace the CPU and RAM. I'm not sure if I need to replace the rest.

USAFRet

Titan

CPU + RAM = also new motherboard.
Plus new hard drive
Plus probably a new PSU

And if you're doing all that...a new case to go with it.

Look...you just built a whole new PC!

The Optiplex 745 MT is one of the few Optipods that can run a C2X chip, and actually overclock it. It has native support for 130W CPUs and good cooling. HDD are dirt cheap now. Obviously the guy's not made out of money or he wouldn't be asking about a 10 year old Dell. The cooler I listed can be had for $10-$15, the big fan about the same. he could start with CPU,RAM and HDD for about $100. He has the GTX750 already and it doesn't require a new PSU to run.
I actually overclocked one of these myself. it went 3.45GHz easily, but I threw in a 2motor fan setup I had lying around at the start so I don't know if it will do that speed or not with a more moderate setup. The E520 will go that speed without serious mods. The 745 Might also. It's a lot different computer at 3.45GHz with a modern GPU and SSD. I've also put ITX video cards in these things. But I don't think he's ready for thet. Yet.

Solution

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

Yep. Don't bother with replacing parts other than GPUs and storage in prebuilts it's not worth the headaches or the money in 99% of cases. (did I just make my second case pun this week?)