Parts to be reused in new build

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Ok, here we go. I just completed upgrading my Lenovo H50-55 and discovered all its limitations.
Here’s what I did:
16GB G. Skill V series RAM replaced a mix of 8GB Hynix and 8GB Pacific Bay RAM.
o It remains limited to PC3 12800 DDR3 1600Hz
Corsair RM650x PSU replaced an ACBel 180W PSU
MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti replaced an integrated AMD A10-7800 graphics system (Radeon 7) (Actually, the AMD GPU is still there but Windows is using the new GPU as primary)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD which I migrated the Seagate HDD to. Now have both. ( And both are seen in file manager and Disk manager.)
CoolerMaster Gemini V series FM2+ CPU heatsink and fan replaced stock. (I still have to install this)
Corsair 120mm exhaust fan (would you believe there were NO fans in this thing?)
Vantek 2 x 70mm GPU cooling fan (not sure it does any good)
The system now runs fast and cooler than before. I am quite pleased with myself in taking this on and having a working lower quality or capability box. The thing is perfect for what I do. No high-end gaming here (or even possible) but I wasn’t looking for that. I feel that I maxed out the H50-55 and am thrilled that it went together so well. But one of the limitations (I mentioned it has some right?) is lack of space and that means messy cables.

I was thinking, you know, we get bored once we finish something like this, so build a bigger one and use some of the components I already have!
I can reuse the PSU and SSD. If I was to build a current machine, I’d need a
Motherboard
CPU (Maybe an i5 would suffice - is i7 better for common tasks like surfing, playing FB games, etc?)
New DDR4 RAM of some sort, I assume
• Case to put the stuff in which has enough room for cable maintenance
• Maybe new GPU but I’m not a big gamer so maybe not?
• Probably change keyboards. I don’t need the lights but backlit would be good like DasKeyboard Prime or something.

What I need is ideas on what MB and CPU I’d need (Intel) and what RAM and case to buy. If money was no option, what would you buy? I don’t need a rocket ship, just a dependable middle level machine that can accomplish limited gaming and hold it’s own in every other way.
So to you, what CPU on what MB in what case etc.
I’m really glad I found this group. You all have been so knowledgeable. Thank you.

Solution
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $474.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-03 18:08 EST-0500

This is it here. All you gotta do is move over your components like PSU, GPU, Storage, etc.

I recently moved my PC over to the Meshify C TG and think it's pretty good.
It's...

Like you said, your SSD, Fans and PSU are still good to go.

If you're not a big gamer than your 750Ti will work fine. It will even allow you to play the occasional Fortnite. The good thing about GPUs is that you can always just pop it out and upgrade it later if you ever feel like you want something better, so I'd suggest to stick with it for now.

As for RAM, upgrading your system will indeed require DDR4 RAM (for any CPU models released over the last few years).

As for your CPU/Mobo/RAM Combo: if it's just for mostly browsing and Facebook games, you really don't mean much here. you could get a pretty good combo for about 300$. Have you considered AMD's Ryzen series? It could be more suitable for your needs. You wouldn't need to pay the Intel tax, you get a free CPU cooler that's actually decent, it may have a lower clock speed (which you don't need anyway since you don't play games that much), which you're substituting for more cores, which will future-proof your build a bit more.

Something like this for example:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $337.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-03 02:44 EST-0500

For a more value-oriented build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($131.91 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $306.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-03 02:46 EST-0500

For a budget build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($97.62 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ B&H)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $265.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-03 02:48 EST-0500

As for the case, you need to watch out for the motherboard. ATX or mATX size. Cases will always tell u which ones are compatible.
ATX cases can support both ATX and mATX motherboards.
mATX cases can support only mATX motherboards.

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Some good points raised for me to think about. I wasn’t looking at AMD because I’ve always used them and Intel seems to be faster (and I was saving some money) so I thought I would try them for once. What is the Intel tax?
Can someone post a comparison Intel system for me? What is the comparison between Ryzen 7 and the equivalent Intel chip set? I know there are champions on both sides of the chip world, as there are in the software world (Windows vs Linux for instance)

The AM4 platform will be supported untill 2020 so you can make a rocket ship in the future should you desire. As for right now I set you up with the 2400g (4 Cores/8 Threads) with Vega integrated graphics. You can always add a graphics card should you need one.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($157.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $471.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-03 14:44 EST-0500

Reactions: allewyn

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $474.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-03 18:08 EST-0500

This is it here. All you gotta do is move over your components like PSU, GPU, Storage, etc.

I recently moved my PC over to the Meshify C TG and think it's pretty good.
It's not too big but not too small. It's almost like it's perfectly crafted to be just right.
cable management in the back shouldn't be an issue. I was able to load up the back with a ton of cables and I didn't even go full ham and make sure it was super perfect, I just kind of half made it perfect in the back and it all fits.
You have room in the front for a full size ATX motherboard, a 280mm radiator on the front and still just enough room for a GPU that is about 300mm in length before it touches the front mounted rad and fans. Also, this case only comes with two 120mm fans and has support for up to a total of 6 120mm fans.

1 in the back
2 on top
3 in the front

or 120+140mm
120mm in the back
2x140 on top
2x140 in front

My 1080Ti is 269mm and as you can see from this pic there's about 31mm left which is 1.2" so you can put up to 300mm GPU in it IF you have something like a rad in the front.
If you go all air cooling and just have fans, you can fit much longer GPU's.

Below are thumbnails that enlarge to higher res pics so you can see the spacing inside the case, and how easily it handles my half assed cable management

Reactions: allewyn
Solution

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Great minds DO think alike! :) You both have similar builds with small differences. Am I allowed to mix and match LOL? I think I have what I need now and so appreciate your help. I really can't choose which is the better answer so I have to go with effort. The photos did it for me.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the 2600 is a better CPU than the 2400G, but the 2400G has integrated graphics.
Since you already have a graphics card I chose to give you a 2600.
You can pick and choose all kinds of components out there, no real reason to have to go with a single thing.

I just chose what motherboard was good enough for the price and picked out quality RAM. Can of course go with a cheaper kit that's closer to $100 but with the higher quality kit, you have a better chance of getting it to run at it's rated speed.
The RAM I chose is not on the QVL but it should hopefully work at it's rated speed, or at 2933 or 3000Mhz.

For RAM that is on a QVL you need to end up paying a bit more for the RAM just so you have the guarantee that it'll run at it's rated speed.

If you wanted more physical space all around in a PC case, then the Define S should be a bit bigger than the Meshify C.
But the Meshify C has full mesh front so it has better intake and air flow if you populate all the vents in the case with fans.

If you want to buy new fans in a package you can do that, or you can buy more of the exact fan that you get two of with the case so they match if you need them to match.

Here's the fan. Can buy 4 of them to fill the case.

Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12 120mm Case Fan - $13.19

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZFMPPN/

TRENDING THREADS