Parvum's Acrylic S2.0 Case Comes Flat-Packed

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrelboy

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Is the coming in some convoluted lego pieces supposed to be a selling point here? I hate building chairs, desks, sheds, ect that come in pieces, the directions are always horrible.
yes. it is packed flat so that it can be shipped more efficiently, reducing carbon footprint due to shipping. It's also made from locally sourced plastic and stuff

Now that i know the reason i guess that's whats important to a lot of people, and don't get me wrong it look like an awesome case.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I think it's shipped unassembled and flat-packed simply because it's cheaper for them to package and ship them if they don't need to pay for assembly and can ship them in smaller boxes. I doubt it's specifically about reducing a carbon footprint as much as it's about reducing cost. It looks fairly easy to put together so it shouldn't be much of an issue, especially considering that buyers will be assembling a computer inside of it anyway.

cbrownx88

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Toms,Get rid of the dynamic webpage elements and the ever-scroll feature. And having to click to view comments? Are you trying to save bandwidth, give advertisers additional user-stats, or just fuck with us?Swear to god you guys don't use this shit before you shove it onto your audience.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I applaud them... for a case which a lot of people will undoubtedly like for being unique and actually quite nice-looking, they'll have a MASSIVE profit margin on these things. Here at the university I go to, we have a CO2 laser cutter/engraver that would be able to make an exact duplicate of this thing, and the cost of acrylic I bet wouldn't top $20-$40, and that's from experience of buying one sheet at a time. Combine that with basically no labor cost and a compact package and they've got an interestingly sound business strategy there.
Toms,Get rid of the dynamic webpage elements and the ever-scroll feature. And having to click to view comments? Are you trying to save bandwidth, give advertisers additional user-stats, or just fuck with us?Swear to god you guys don't use this shit before you shove it onto your audience.
At least I'm not the only one... TomsHardware is not Facebook - please don't try to make it look as such. Feels like I'm trying to navigate the Windows 8 of webpages since this update. It just isn't convenient, at least IMO.

ParvumShaun

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Hey guys, I am Shaun from Parvum. Thanks for all your great comments, thought I would jump in to help clear some bits up.
I think it's shipped unassembled and flat-packed simply because it's cheaper for them to package and ship them if they don't need to pay for assembly and can ship them in smaller boxes. I doubt it's specifically about reducing a carbon footprint as much as it's about reducing cost. It looks fairly easy to put together so it shouldn't be much of an issue, especially considering that buyers will be assembling a computer inside of it anyway.
Actually squirrelboy is on the right track. We did originally send the cases assembled, however due to the higher costs because of the dimensions we moved to flat pack for a couple of reasons. Yes the price did drop and we was able to pass this saving onto the customer, but also due to our aspiration of being 'Green' it is more efficient to transport across the world. This is furthered by the fact that we manufacture in the UK not shipping products to and from China to be produced cheaper with a disregard for our carbon footprint. Also our acrylic is made from 100% recycled acrylic, in turn we return all the off cuts back to the acrylic manufacturer to be recycled.These are enthusiasts cases produced by enthusiasts and we personally believe that the flat pack nature gives the customer more of a connection with the case, as you dont just unpack and play, you build your case and then your system.As for the price of the case, sadly I wish the $20-40 said by someguynamedmatt was actually our cost price, but unfortunately not. The quality of the acrylic is very high and we do have to pay for that, as well as joining blocks, screws usb ports. The bent midwalls, are all done by hand in house and we use a CNC router which although allows us to have countersunk screw heads and 45 degree cuts, does take longer. We have priced the S2.0 as competitively as we can not raising the cost from the S1.0 even though it has additional features and more R&D.Hope this helps out guys, Thanks again for the support.

joebgood

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
how is the emf shielding with this? non-existent? will the computer affect (or be affected) by nearby speakers, electronics? Will you get weird skin growths from all the emf radiation?

Status
Not open for further replies.