Pascal vs Current Gen? Will Console Die?

chromose-47

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Zdarova!
Should I wait for GTX 1080 or buy 980TI now? How the first is superior to the last?
It's just 2 month waiting - is it worth buying now?
Will Pascal be dramatically superior to the current generation and make all gtx 970, 980, 980ti to sink? Will the weakest Pascal be superios to GTX 980ti? How will the prices change?
Will games use Pascal's power or they will just become more UNOPTIMISED for concole not to die?\
Cheers

Solution
My estimation for Pascal and Polaris, in 2016 only the GDDR5x versions will come.
Those will sit on GTX980 price.
How much the performance jump will be, I do not know yet.
Early 2017, you should see AMD and/or nVidia to introduce new aces of GPUs (hopefully with HBM). It will dethrone GTX980Ti/Fury X and has the price class of GTX980Ti.

Consoles will not die very soon, nobody know if it even will die.
Console has other pros and cons to PCs. I have a gaming PC and PS4 anyway.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Stuff on console wont matter. Games on pc will always have the option to run higher resolution and higher graphical details and effects. The consoles will just simply run lower resolution and appropriate levels to detail to get the performance desired.

The new X80 gpu will likely be similar performance to the 980 ti, but at the cost of a 980. Mid May is the expected release date.

Consoles won't die because they are easier to use and offer other advantages which don't really matter. As far as the gtx 1080 goes, it is expected to be released in 2 months, no guarantees, however I agree it seems likely. It will probably cost the same as the 980ti right now, or $50 less, doubt it will cost more, when it gets released 980ti's price will drop most likely. It will be better than the 980ti, however I am not sure it will be by a huge margin. I think the difference between 980ti and 1080 will be the same as the difference between 980 and 980ti. Don't think nvidia will release something way more powerful that early into the year.

chromose-47

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

Console wil die because with the temps of hardware development they wont be able to run games withou constant hardware upgrades (or gamedev industry wont develop, ofcourse it wont ****** consoles). To the time when PS4 with it's 2012's old and weak hw will even come close for an upgrade - we will run photorealistic games for couple years already.
>because consoles are easy to use
So it is an athavism of old society. Consoles are alive till last stupid and broke person is alive. With time - consoles will extict just like any other old and useless technology/

Well I don't like consoles, I'm just saying why they are good. Your console won't BSOD, you won't install a game and get an error because the game doesn't want to run on your hardware for some reason. Also PS5 and next Xbox will come out by the time current consoles are not enough.

My estimation for Pascal and Polaris, in 2016 only the GDDR5x versions will come.
Those will sit on GTX980 price.
How much the performance jump will be, I do not know yet.
Early 2017, you should see AMD and/or nVidia to introduce new aces of GPUs (hopefully with HBM). It will dethrone GTX980Ti/Fury X and has the price class of GTX980Ti.

Consoles will not die very soon, nobody know if it even will die.
Console has other pros and cons to PCs. I have a gaming PC and PS4 anyway.

Solution

Stysner

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Just look at how far behind the XBox 360 and PS3 were at the end of their cycle. And they were thriving.

Keep in mind a lot of people will buy consoles for exclusive titles, and even more don't want the hassle of building or maintaining a PC. They want to get home, sit down, grab the controller and play. You could do that on the PC but it will never be as userfriendly and simple as just turning on your console, downloading a new game, and start playing without a care in the world.

PC is actually growing though, but that's more because of the popular e-sports (LoL, DotA2, CS:GO) than anything else.

plaintuts

Admirable
Anyway,... Pascal is gonna be boss, like super cool! Every game developer will forget common sense and drop 500 million dollars on game development to deliver photo realistic graphics for the 0.01% gamers that buy bleeding edge gpu's every year!!!

Consoles will be gone, since its operating system is specifically made to run gaming related applications, unlike boss windows with all its server and workload optimizations..

Im Soo gonna buy me that Pascal gpu to play my favorite game, Civilization 5 with that bnw expansion FTW!!!