[SOLVED] Passing on performance using virtualisation to another device

Nov 8, 2019
Dear Community,

I am wondering whether it would be possible to pass on performance from a desktop to another device such as a laptop or even a tablet. I thought about running a virtual machine and transmitting the screen through an application such as TeamViewer which also allows to receive inputs from the host device. I do not know if TeamViewer would be an appropriate solution if I were to use it within a LAN, but I could not find another way and for now, I would ignore the latency issue. The other problem which is concerning me is whether it would be possible to pass on the performance from the GPU, as I am aware, you are only able to dedicate a certain number of cores to the virtual machine and I do not know what about the GPU. Would it be possible to use integrated GPU for the main desktop and dedicate the PCIe GPU to the virtual machine or vice versa? Or do you have any other solutions? I am basically looking for an alternative to an external GPU so that I do not need to spend money on building an entire dock and still be able to use it inside an existing build. Thank you in advance.

Solution
What are the specific 2 devices you're trying to use?

Are you trying to build a desktop with a GPU, and then use another desktop or laptop to play games from that desktop?

If you have a Nvidia GPU you can use GameStream to do this. Steam also has the same feature called RemotePlay.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Are you trying to build a desktop with a GPU, and then use another desktop or laptop to play games from that desktop?

If you have a Nvidia GPU you can use GameStream to do this. Steam also has the same feature called RemotePlay.

Solution
Nov 8, 2019

Well, I do not play games anymore so, I have a desktop with a GPU which is not utilised and I was thinking about how I could pass on the performance from that GPU in my desktop to another device such as a laptop. This way I could use my desktop as I would do normally and possibly boost the performance of another device and that is why I thought about running a virtual machine, but I do not think it would work. And from what I have found out, when you hold a key on TeamViewer, it acts as if you were tapping that key which is not useful for games.

Just so you know, I have GTX 1050Ti, and therefore, I could use Nvidia's software as you suggested, but I could also configure steam to allow me to do the same thing. You might say that such a low end GPU might not make a big impact, but I think it could make a difference on a laptop with integrated GPU. The only question is whether it would work fine alongside other applications running on the streaming device. I will give it a go and see. For now, I will leave this post opened, but if nobody comes up with any other suggestions then I will select yours as the best answer. Thank you again.