Question Passive rad vs 3 extra intake fans

Lew201

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
i have a quick question for everyone, ive just build a LIAN LI watercooling loop, i have a rad on the bottom, one on the top and one on the side - i noticed my temps were kinda hot

the top and bottom rad have fans on but the one on the side there is not space so it just acts as a passive rad, what do you think would be better - 3 extra intake fans vs the passive rad, i have a feeling the extra airflow might be better?

it is worth noting that i have a super thick bottom rad (360 XE) and a decent rad at the top (360 PE) so already have quite a decent amount of rad but i am unsure on in reality if the passive rad would be better than 3 new intakes

View: https://imgur.com/a/OBDKEtd

thanks

i did, i double checked but its a lian li / lian li distroplate
Well - this looks quite different from, how you have connected it.

O11D-distro-plate-G1-Ek-lian-li-waterway-2.jpg

What are your full system specs at what temps are you seeing?

Im also trying to follow your tubes and looking at the waterblock on EK's webpage and having a hard time following the flow. Can you tell if your getting water flow through everything? What pump is on the block? does it have enough head pressure to flow through 3 radiators and 3 blocks?

Having the 3rd radiator with no fans will dissipate some heat but act more of a reservoir and just take longer for the water to equalize.

Lew201

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015

Im also trying to follow your tubes and looking at the waterblock on EK's webpage and having a hard time following the flow. Can you tell if your getting water flow through everything? What pump is on the block? does it have enough head pressure to flow through 3 radiators and 3 blocks?

Having the 3rd radiator with no fans will dissipate some heat but act more of a reservoir and just take longer for the water to equalize.

the waterflow is defo correct, i made sure each hole on the distro goes to the correct part while being in the right chanel, its a ek d5 pump which is working correctly. i think the issue is just that there is no fans tbh. my question was more about if its worth having a passive radiator or instead intake fans

ive ordered some slim fans to try and squeeze on the rad, if i cant then i will take the rad out and put some intake fans in, as of right now all the rad is doing is just dumping hot air in the case as it has no fans, so the clear path is to either fit some slim fans on or remove the rad and have some extra intake fans

Last edited:

Lew201

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015

View: https://imgur.com/a/jfTfSy7

Lew201

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
responses from my other forums suggested that is it is not really worth having a passive radiator (no fans) as 1 it is dumping hot air in the case, which is going back into the other rads and 2 i already have enough rads so i would be better off with the cool air

i am going to try and squeeze some fans on it to get the best of both worlds but if not i will just take the rad out