Question passive, wired pc speakers?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am looking for a super cheap non powered set of wired PC speakers. Every single thing I find is "powered" and I don't want that. I do not want them to plug in the wall or a USB port to work. All they will be used for is hearing voice for teleconferences and the like.

I went to walmart and picked up a pair of BOSE desktop speakers for around $60. Use those when I have another person around to hear stuff.

Oh, they do have a power cord, sorry. Why don't you want a power cable? I'm not sure if there are any speakers that just plug in to the computer akin to wired ear buds..

The problem you have is.....the voltage that comes out of the PC for the speakers is at signal level.

In general this is not strong enough to drive passive speakers.

This is why PC speaker sets are powered and you have to plug them into the wall.....because the speakers have to get the power from somewhere.....because it isn't coming from the PC.

You don't necessarily have to get PC speakers though....any powered speakers that can connect via a stereo 1/8" plug will work with a PC.

Something like this would work as it looks like it has a 1/8" stereo input.

https://smile.amazon.com/Enhanced-Splashproof-Portable-Bluetooth-Radiator/dp/B010OYASRG/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=portable+battery+powered+speaker+1/8"&qid=1610047300&sr=8-6

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Y'all realize that the packaged speakers that came along with prebuilt PC for years were passive, right?
They didn't all have amplified sound cards either.

I am guessing that the segment has gone away to a degree that there is no demand for them, then...