Question Passmark crashing the display?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
My new build seems to be doing very well on a number of criteria but when I run the Passmark free test, it gets through the first phases without a problem. When you get to the 3 d part where the jets are running around in circles, the system goes dark for a second then reboots (not a boot with a post, the screen goes dark and comes back on). After the screen comes back, everything is bi-chrome. The first time it was blue and pink, the second time it was green and yellow. And I don't mean just the stuff in the passmark display. The entire screen. At some point the test ends because I could barely make out in the task manager "not responding." When I reboot it comes back. I note that the system passes UserBenchmark very well and among other things it gets UserBenchmark approval as a good gaming build..

Would like recommendations

1. Return GPU? I can still return to Newegg.
  2. Try out old GPU in new build and see what happens? Would prefer not to install new drivers....have had issues with stability of this sytem, which is running Windows update 1903. There is no earlier update on the machine because it is only 24 hours from a fresh OS install (done for other reasons).
  3. Buy new GPU and see if it still does the same thing? If I buy the exact same GPU do I have to do drivers all over again? I'd rather not...
  4. Is there a chep graphics intensive game I could buy and use as a test....

The build

Asus Prime X470 pro with Ryzen 5 2600X
32 gig ddr 4 3200 g.skill ram
Asus Radeon RX580
M.2 NVMe running the OS

There's other stuff but that's the main things. I am getting computer set-up fatigue and have been enjoying the apparent stability of this system for the past day and a half. I'm not really sure I want to pursue but I would like your comments. I would rather think that Passmark is glitched or that Win 10 update 1903 is glitched and that the best thing would be to sit tight do nothing enjoy the rig and hope for the best. I have done three full installations of the OS and then put all my software on after (I don't put ESET on any more it's associated with instability with the 1903 update -- this is on their own site).

thanks
Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well don't everyone answer all at once! :) Anyhow I swapped the Radeon 580 out and put in my old R9-380 which sailed through the Passmark test without turning my screen green and without freezing the computer. So I'm going to have to assume this is a bad GPU unless someone else has a suggestion as to why a build would be fine with one piece of hardware and crash with another. (Please note that I mean that, many and strange are the causalities in computers.)

thanks,
Greg N