Isn't there a way to ad password protection to a folder? I know you can hide
a folder but I thought there was a way to create a password to open it.
Thanks

Are you using XP Home or Pro.

"br57" <br57@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Isn't there a way to ad password protection to a folder? I know you can
> hide a folder but I thought there was a way to create a password to open
> it.
> Thanks

XP Pro

br57 wrote:
> Isn't there a way to ad password protection to a folder? I know you
> can hide a folder but I thought there was a way to create a password
> to open it. Thanks

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Are you using XP Home or Pro.

What difference does that make?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

XP Home does not support the same set of security features as does XP Pro.