Password protecting files

I'm using a shared computer and others are deleting the temporary internet
files. Is there any way to lock that folder with a password so that I know
what's been viewed without someone else deleting them?

You don't password protect individual folders in XP. You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.

To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:

CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS

Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.

After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

In your case, you would want to remove the user's ability to delete files from the TIF. However, this could cause problems as the TIF fills up, since Internet Explorer runs under the user's credentials, it may not be able to delete files to make room for new ones.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"not so computer savy" <notsocomputersavy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD4FAF03-1484-45D2-8159-6974D5BA5BC0@microsoft.com...
> I'm using a shared computer and others are deleting the temporary internet
> files. Is there any way to lock that folder with a password so that I know
> what's been viewed without someone else deleting them?

I believe I know what you're talking about, but I'm on a shared user, not
just a shared computer. The only account on the computer is this user.
There is an administrator account, but it's not been used in so long that
noone knows the password. The user I'm on has all of the administrative
authorities as far as I have seen. I can get in to the security part to set
permissions, but I'm not sure what that would lock me out of. Is there any
way to keep someone else from deleting the TIF?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> You don't password protect individual folders in XP. You restrict access by assigning permissions to drives, folders and files.
>
> To do this, you must be running NTFS as your file system on the drive in question. If your hard disk/partition is not NTFS you will need to convert it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command:
>
> CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS
>
> Where X: is the drive letter you wish to convert. You may also want to see http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm to ensure that you're getting the optimal conversion.
>
> After this step is completed and you've rebooted the computer, if necessary:
>
> XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.
>
> XP Home: By default, you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private". This is done by right clicking a folder or file and selecting Properties, Sharing. To change the permissions on other folders, you need to boot the computer to Safe Mode and log in on the built in Administrator account. In this mode, you'll see the Security tab in Properties, and you can assign permissions based on user name or group membership.
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419
>
> HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874
>
> In your case, you would want to remove the user's ability to delete files from the TIF. However, this could cause problems as the TIF fills up, since Internet Explorer runs under the user's credentials, it may not be able to delete files to make room for new ones.
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "not so computer savy" <notsocomputersavy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD4FAF03-1484-45D2-8159-6974D5BA5BC0@microsoft.com...
> > I'm using a shared computer and others are deleting the temporary internet
> > files. Is there any way to lock that folder with a password so that I know
> > what's been viewed without someone else deleting them?

If you have administrator access, you can change the Administrator password
whether you know the current password or not.
Go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select Administrator.
From there you can change the Administrator password.
You may need to be in Safe Mode.

There are 3rd party programs that allow you to protect files, but none
native to Windows.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"not so computer savy" <notsocomputersavy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:FD6138BA-966B-4111-8BC8-A05469A7818A@microsoft.com...
>I believe I know what you're talking about, but I'm on a shared user, not
> just a shared computer. The only account on the computer is this user.
> There is an administrator account, but it's not been used in so long that
> noone knows the password. The user I'm on has all of the administrative
> authorities as far as I have seen. I can get in to the security part to
> set
> permissions, but I'm not sure what that would lock me out of. Is there
> any
> way to keep someone else from deleting the TIF?

By the context of your original post you appear to want a way to monitor what
someone else browses on the Internet while you're away.

There is software you can purchase which will run in the background, hidden,
and keep track of all PC activity. I don't have any specific software in
mine. If you think you might be interested in such an applcation, ask and
I'm sure someone will recommend a program to use.
--
Cordially,
Wayne H. Wilhelm