jeff

I am trying to fix a spyware problem on a friends XP computer. It has
multiple accounts on the system, and no one knows that password for one of
the accounts. I tried using a free Linux utility that resets passwords, but
it is having problems reading the SAM file. So, can I log into the recovery
console, and delete the SAM and restore it from the Windows\Repair folder?
Will that blank the password for me w/o causing any other problems? Thanks
in advance.

Jeff

It seems like you are trying to do this the very hard way.
Log in to any account that has Administrator access.
Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select the account.
Then choose the desired option option.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to fix a spyware problem on a friends XP computer. It has
> multiple accounts on the system, and no one knows that password for one of
> the accounts. I tried using a free Linux utility that resets passwords,
> but
> it is having problems reading the SAM file. So, can I log into the
> recovery
> console, and delete the SAM and restore it from the Windows\Repair folder?
> Will that blank the password for me w/o causing any other problems?
> Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Jeff

right click on "MY COMPUTER"
select "MANAGE"
Expand " LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS"
Highlight "USERS"
Right click on the "user account" you wish to change, and Click on "SET
PASSWORD"

From there fallow directions wheather you are sure you wish to do so...

Rich