Pasting Questions

MahtXL

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5. And my CPU needs to be re pasted, its got old dried up and cracked paste atm, not very high quality at all, so im going to clean the old stuff and put something better in. My question is this. Is it ok to put a pea sized amount in the centre of the cpu, then seat the heatsink and screw it in, or is it really necessary to spread it thinly and risk making a big mess? Ive read the entire thing doesnt have to be coated, and in other places ive read it has to be spread thinly across the entire thing. So before i even attempt this i want to make sure whatever i do will be the correct way, id like to do it once and not have to worry for a few years after.

Solution
One of the timeless questions hehe,
peadot is fine, stripes are fine (especially with the direct touch line coolers)
and spreading with a card or bagged finger is also fine, there are a million ways to apply paste and none are particularly 'better' than any other,
as long as its thin enough, too much is as bad as not enough
Moto
One of the timeless questions hehe,
peadot is fine, stripes are fine (especially with the direct touch line coolers)
and spreading with a card or bagged finger is also fine, there are a million ways to apply paste and none are particularly 'better' than any other,
as long as its thin enough, too much is as bad as not enough
Moto

Solution

MahtXL

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Do you have a pic showing how much is the right amount? Like a pic of a cpu with a pea size on it, so i know what to shoot for?

MahtXL

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Wow thats so little. And good thing we got the right stuff for cleaning to, got a new bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol. Looks like it should go smoothly.

MahtXL

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Well i did it. cleaned both heatsink and cpu, dryed them off, apllied about the same amount as in the pic there and screwed it all in. So we will see how this turns out in the coming days.